Monday, February 21, 2011

August 3, 1953

Monday  3 August 53

Dear Mom and Dad

How is everything at home.  Friday I guess was the last time I wrote.  Friday night 4 of us went to Pittsburg (note to blog reader, I finally looked it up, Pittsburg is a town close to Stoneman, near SF) and fooled around.  Saturday we were in a parade. and then Sat night we went to the county fair.  They had a rodeo, carnival, etc. Had a good time. 

Zink, Sipes, Tiederman and I have been going places together.  Sunday we all had guard duty together starting 9:30 Sun morning.  We were on 24 hours. Guard is 2 hours on and off four hours.  We were all on it together at the same time and the same place.  We have been together quite a bit, hope we can stay together.  This guard wasn't bad.  It was interesting.  We had automatic carbines and live ammunition.  We guarded a stockade.  We stood in towers and they told us if anybody tried to get over the fence to shoot them. 

Haven't done anything today but watch a ball game this afternoon and we are going to have retreat at 4.  Wont do much tonight probably but sleep. 

Haven't been over to get my mail yet.  I should have some tonight because I didn't get any Sat.

There was a boat that left today for Korea and one leaves tomorrow for Hawaii.  There will not be another one until the 7th.  I heard today that after about 2 weeks that all the troops would be sent to Alaska or get duty state side.  Hope that's true and I get something like that.  Although everybody from here goes to Japan and then get sent to Korea from there.  They just say that is where the boat is going, so I could get to stay in Japan.

I guess I will get detail tomorrow, just hope it isn't KP.  I see some of the guys here that I went to basic training with.  Don't know why they are still here.  They don't know either.  There are a lot of guys here that have already been to Korea and Japan and are going back.  They say that army life is better overseas then it is here in the states.

Could you send me 10 or 20 dollars out of my account.  I guess I wont get paid while I am here.  All I got is 40 dollars so far.  That is not much.  I want to buy a camera before I leave.  I can get a good one at the PX for just a little bit.

Well not much more to say.  I'll write you again tomorrow.  Let me hear from you.  If I leave here I will call you.
Love, Ted
PS  Just send a money order.

No comments:

Post a Comment