Monday, February 21, 2011

Explanations for July

Dad received a pass for about two weeks and then headed back to California, where he was stationed at a Naval Airbase to start the special school he keeps mentioning..  He seems to like the Navy and the way they live and the freedom he has to leave and go where he wants.  Spends a lot of time in Fresno and Oakland and revisited Frisco.

He keeps referring to Steinman or Stoneman and uses several spellings and I haven't figured out where it is or what they do there.  I think it must be close to San Fransisco and have something to do with transporting him over seas.  His reference about going to Pittsburgh is puzzling,  I have no idea what he meant.

He mentions a few new names.  Some were familiar to me.  JQ was his cousin, Edith was his aunt, and Arline lived down the street from him and was the bridesmaid to Dad and Mom when they were married.  Arlene lived down the street for many years and I grew up with her children.  Apparently he heard from Martin because he mentions him and I found an envelope addressed to Dad from Martin but no letter inside.  The envelop was addressed to Dad's Independence address so I suspect my grandmother opened it up and sent the letter to Dad.  We shall see.

It was a small world.  Running into the the nephew of his old ROTC instructor was a strange encounter, especially since they both were attending that "special" school.  I spell out what the special school was all about in a posting on my other blog, The Adventures of Conley McAnally, dated November 10, 2010. 
The school seems interesting to him and he showed surprise that such things existed.  He told me years later that they held the classes over a mess hall so it would look like they were getting some kind of training in mess operations.

Dad keeps going to movies, not getting all his money, seems to be broke a lot, and really looks forward to the mail. 

He was able to come home after the school for a second time after basic .  It must have been a real hardship on him and my grandparents given neither had much money.  But it would have been the last time he would have been able to because he was shipping out to some place he "doesn't know where yet."  I don't remember much about the visit home only that we took Dad down to Municipal Airport,watched him get on the plane while we stood on the observation deck.  My grandmother had her had resting on her chin and her elbow on the railing while she clung to the railing with here other hand.  Why would I remember something like that?  But the picture is just as to vivid now as it was back then.  I don't remember my grandfather even being there, but he had to be because no one else drove and he told me years later that he watched Dad get on the plane and didn't know if he would ever see him again.  The war was still going on when Dad left us this time.

Which brings up something I think is sort of odd if I have my dates correct.  The cease fire was declared on July 29, about the same day Dad left for California.  He mentions nothing about it in his letters of July 29 and 31.  I have a vague memory of seeing President Eisenhower on television and everyone in the room, which I don't remember who they were or how many, were listening intently.  What might have happened was that the President addressed the nation and told us that at a certain time on a certain day hostilities would cease etc.  So if Dad had been home on leave when the cease fire was declared it would have been no need to dwell on it in letters.  I guess I might find out later in my readings.   Or maybe there was a cease fire months before and the war ended on July 29.  But I don't think the war really did end officially, we just stopped fighting.  If anyone know let me know and I will make a correction to the blog.

Anyway, Dad is in Stoneman (I am settling on that spelling) waiting for a ship to take him to either Hawaii, Okinawa, Japan, or Korea, he has not received his orders yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment