Sunday, February 27, 2011

August 15, 1953-letter One

Sat Aug 15, 1953

Dear Snapper

How are you.  I hope you have been a good boy.  I sure miss you.  It wont be to long till you start school again.  I am leaving here about 1:30 Monday morning.  I think I will ride a ferry boat to Frisco and then get on the USNS Meigs.  It's a big ship, about the biggest one there is for carrying soldiers.  I sent you a picture of it.  I am going to take some pictures on the way over so I will send some home.

All of us who went to school together  will be together on the ship.  It will take me about 10 days to get there.  I will be sent to an outfit after I get there.  I don't know where yet.  It wont be bad over there now the war has stopped, so don't worry about me.

I am sending you a patch a guy gave me who stays in our barracks.  I forgot the Div.  You can have Mama sew it on your jacket for you.  I will send you a new patch of the Div I get in.

Well be a good boy and go to Sunday school with Mama.  I'll write you again on the ship.  Please mind mama and remember your daddy.
Love, Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment