Thursday, February 17, 2011

July 17, 1953

Friday Noon
(letter not dated but envelope was post marked)

Dear Mom and Dad

I thought I would write you a lie so you would get it by Monday. 

I found out this morning that we will leave here at 3 pm Tuesday and go to Stememan.  There we will have time off.  I will have seven days.  Almost all the guys are going home.  We are going to try and get a hop on a military flight.  If we can't we I am stuck.

Margie is coming out today.  If I had know before this I would have told her not to come out.  I am sure mad about the whole thing.

Do you think you will sell my car this week?  If you do call me and I may have you send me the money to get home if I don't get a hop.  I hate to spend that time out here. 

I have been getting your mail ok.  I should get about 120 dollars when I check in at Stoman.  That is a month and half pay.  They wont give it to me unless I check in and if I check in I'll have to wait till the 31st to get all of it. 

I hate to see Margie spend all that money to come out but I didn't think I would be coming home at the time.  I am sure fed up with the way the army does things.

I better close now.  Let me know something.  I'll leave here some time Tues afternoon.  If you can call Monday night.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment