Friday, February 18, 2011

July 28, 1953

(note to blog reader. This letter is dated July 28 but I don't think the date is correct.  There are a few things out of sequence.  The letter is one of the few that was not in an envelop so perhaps dad was a little sloppy when he wrote it.  My best guess after reviewing some of the previous letters that it was really written on July 8.  Anyone can throw in an extra 2 now and then.)

Wed July 28, 1953

Dear Mom and Dad

I have time to write a few lines.  We didn't do much today.  They gave us a special pass that lets us go away at night and not return till 7:30 the next morning and we can have all our Sat and Sun off.  I don't know what I will do yet.

I'll have to take it easy because my money will run short.  I wont get paid till I sign in at Camp Stonman.  I will leave here on the 24th of July. (note: see it must have been around the 8th)  I wont have much time to go home.  Probably just as well anyway. 

They have a pool here.  If you don't think it would take to long send my swim suit.

I have a new address:   Name and serial no.
                                    CSSP
                                    U.S Naval Air Station
                                    Alameda, Calif.

We get a three day service on our laundry so that will will be nice.  I will probably send my boots and fatigues home when I leave here. (note: this last sentence confuse me)

I heard that  they were not sending any more through leadership at Roberts because they are closing down, so Martin will be sent some place else.  Maybe Ft Leonard Wood.

The Navy has funny ways.  You can't walk in front of the bldg where the Admiral is unless you are in class A uniform.  No fatigues.  That is about all they have told us as far as behavior on the Post. 

I went to the show last night and saw the Story of Robin Hood.  It was good.  About like the other one.

Well not much more to say now.  Hope to hear from you real soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment