Saturday, February 19, 2011

July 29, 1953

Wed July 29, 1953

Dear Mom and Dad

How is everything?  I left at 3 am on Flight 5 to Frisco.  I couldn't get on the plane with the other guys.  I got into Frisco at 9 am and took a bus to Oakland.

I went to an early show and then met the boys at the bus station about 2 pm, then came on out to Stoneman.  We checked in at 4:30 and 4 of us got on the same Roster.  Three other guys that were with us came in a little later and were put on a different Roster.  We are all in the same barracks though.

We haven't done to much.  I went to the show last night and saw Band Wagon with Fred Astaire.  This morning we went to a couple of places and processed.  I got a shot.  We still have two more days of processing.

I am on guard duty tonight.  4 of us stand guard in the barracks and keep order etc. They gave us a helmet and a billy club.

I don't know how long I will be here.  The average time is 10 days.  I may be here longer.  They are sending guys to Korea, Japan, Okinawa, and Hawaii.  I could get any of those places.

When we finish processing we will have details ad KP till we leave.

It is nice here and the food is fair.

I sure had a nice time when I was home.  I was glad I could come home again even if it did cost a lot.  I appreciated using the car too.

Well not much more to say.  I'll write you again later on.  Write me to the address on the letter.  I haven't got paid yet or got any mail.  I should get some tomorrow.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment