Monday, June 6, 2011

December 6, 1953

Sunday  Dec 6, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I  have finished my first week now.  It wasn't to bad.  I give my first talk  Wed  Dec 9.  It will be for 10-12 min and on anything you want to talk about.  I think mine will be on the Phonetic Alphabet.

I was on guard Friday night and didn't get much sleep.  Last night I went to the show and saw Kansas City Confidential.  I saw it once before. 

This is the first letter I have written you sense Thursday so you will probably go awhile before you get any letters.  Yesterday I sent  some more gifts home to you and Dad.  Remember I sent 2 things home once before.  They have mail order places here at the school.  I sent 3 things this time.  They said it will be about 60 days before you get it.  There isn't to much but I thought the things I sent were pretty and that you might have some use for them.  I hope everything gets there in good shape.  Let me know.  I could not afford to send them airmail so I sent them parcel post.

I still have my cold.  I can't seem to get rid of it.  I am really tired of it.  It doesn't bother me except for my coughing  . 

Yesterday I gave my squad drill.  I think I did OK on it.  I don't know what I made on it.

I wrote Llewellyn a letter.  I think you saw his picture in one that I sent home.  He is a red headed guy.  He use to be in my squad in basic and bunked next to Martin and myself.  He is from Center, Mo. 

I guess the mail is slow because it is during the Xmas season.  Xmas cards and packages.  I mailed Mr. Sharps and Jacques Xmas cards to their old address.  I forgot they moved.  I hope they get it.  The only two people I missed was Corley and Stafford. 

How did you like Ted Lewis?  He is an old timer isn't he. 

Well I hated being away on Thanksgiving but it is just the way is is.  I will be here at the school over Xmas.  I am going to try to go back to the company Xmas and see the boys.  All the packages you sent will probably come here.  I think it probably takes  a day or two  to get here from the company even though it is only two miles away.

This will be my first Christmas away from home.

I have just had 3 letter s from you, Nov 23, 24, 25 and one package.  The cookies sure were good.

How did Jim and Roslyn like it at Thanksgiving.  Daisy sure wrote a nice letter.  Not long but she has nice writing and spelling.

Guthmiller and I were going to go back to the company today but I don't think I will.  I sent some clothes to the laundry last night and I also got my 2 shirts back from the tailor.  They are pretty nice.  They have cuffs on them, patch, stripes, pockets in the sleeve, seems sewed in them, name plates etc.  I got hold of a couple of fatigues shirts before I came here to school and had them fixed this way. 

The school is going OK.  Seems funny, there are Sgts, corporals, etc int he class and they don't have anymore say than I do.  Well guess I will close now.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment