Wednesday, June 29, 2011

January 5, 1954

Tuesday, January 5, 1953 (note: a mistake in the date again, I guess he had a tough time getting use to the new year.)

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

We got back from our problem today at and haven’t done much of anything since.  I just took a shower.  Yesterday we left at and walked out to where our problem started.  We ate out there and we had to get up at to start our problem so none of us put our pup tents up.  I had my air mattress and sleeping bag so I slept on that.  Guthemiller and I put our sacks next to a Korean grave.  They lay their bodies on the ground and then but dirt over them so it is about 3 or feet high.  It made a good wind break. (note: OK, think about that for awhile.) 

We got up at and ate breakfast and started our problem.  I lit my hand warmer up, one of them that Evelyn sent and burned it.  It’s still burning.  It has burned over 24 hours now.  They sure are nice.  I put it in my sleeping bag and had to take it out because it got so hot.  I took a lot of pictures while I was out.  I hope they come out OK.

So Curler is on his way home.  I guess he will be home when this letter gets there. 

I just got a letter from Jim Rountree tonight.  He said he has had quite a time with the baby.  Hope he gets OK.  He said he sure thought it was nice that you have taken such an interest and helped them.

I just talked to my section leader and he told me that he put my name in for corporal this month but the platoon Sgt turned my name down because I hadn’t been on the job long enough.  So it doesn’t look like I will get it unless the Old Man puts me in for it.  He said he was also try to get me the section leader job when he leaves.  He leaves about Feb 1st.  He said they might put Guthmiller in his place because he had been her longer than I have.  Hope I can make it.  It sure is a better job.  I will be over the 3 mortar squads then. 

I don’t know where that sgt is that you sent me the name of.  I will keep the address and may run into him sometime.

Haven’t had any more packages.  I think I have all you sent.  I didn’t get the one you said McDonald sent with the manicure set yet.  The other packages I think I tell you about each time they get here.

Well not much new.  I will close for now.  May be by the time you answer this letter and I get it I will be in Japan.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment