Tuesday, June 21, 2011

December 28, 1953

                                                  

Dec. 28, 1953
Monday

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got back to the company yesterday.  I am now a squad leader in the 2nd mortar squad.  I have 4 besides myself.  I am holding a Sgt’s job so I hope everything goes OK for me now.  I am the only one in the company who ever came out with that high of school.

I have an M-1 now.  Nor more pistol.  My gunner is Louis Melendy a Mexican who came here before I did.  Asst gunner is a Negro – Johnson- who has been here for quite a while.  A combat vet, 1st Ammo Barer is Berky who came here when I did and 2nd Ammo barer is Lee Kon Sue, a ROCK.  You have a picture of him.  I am supposed to have two more men in the squad.  I will get them the next load we get in.

I got a letter from you yesterday (from Dad) it said you got the 1st present I sent.  Was that a Man’s robe or a Woman’s.  How does it fit Mom for size.  Was it black with gold trim.  Did the candy bows get there without breaking. 

I got a package from Mrs. Keith.  It was candy and cookies.  I got 2 Xmas books from Mrs. Corley.  I still haven’t got the package from McDonald.  I got you packages OK and I sure liked everything that was in it.

Today we did PT and had a problem.  We are only training till the rest of the week.  They are giving us a break.  I think we have another problem in January sometime.  It will last for seven days this time.  I am having a hard time writing this letter.  I smashed my thumb on my M-1 and it sure hurts.

I went to the show this after and saw “Thunder Bay.”  I saw it before.  They have shows in the afternoon till the New Year.  Last night I saw “Man from the Alamo.” 

                                      

Tonight I took a shower and that’s about it.  What are you doing New Years this year.  Xmas wasn’t much.  No one tried to make it much.  I just took it as another day.  Hope next year I will be back home.  The house boy that is the CP said he would wash my clothes.  I think I will get him to.  It wont cost to much.  He is only supposed to wash for the CP.(note: ?)

I enjoyed the Pecan Delights and the Jim Beam you sent me for Xmas.  Thank Corley and Keith for me.  I’ll try to write them when my thumb gets better. 
 

Well I am sure proud of my self for going through the school OK.  Hope the Old Man feels the same way.  Be sure and thank everyone for me that sent packages to the Xmas party.
Love, Ted

(note: Dad really was proud of accomplishing being an honor student and being made a squad leader.  In later years he never talked about it much but told me when I went into the army that if I was ever sent to any school to try real hard and get in the upper 10%.  He told me it would make all the difference in the world to my army career.  I didn’t listen very carefully.)

No comments:

Post a Comment