Saturday, June 11, 2011

December 12, 1953


Dec 12, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I finished my 2nd week of school today.  First two weeks weren’t bad and went fairly fast.  I think the next two weeks will go fairly fast too. 

I saw a good show tonight. 
Main Street
to Broadway.” 

I opened the other package tonight.  It was loaded with food.  I’m going to enjoy it.

I might go back to the company tomorrow if I can.  Guthmiller finished school today.  He finished 20 th  in his class with 834 points out of 1000.  His class only had one honor student and he was from the 5th RCT.  In fact the first 4 in the class were from the 5th RCT.  This is a 3rd Div. school and the 5th only sends a few men each week.  I think there are only 7 from the 5th in our class.  The rest are from the 3rd. 
 

It sure has been cold here the last couple of night.  I think it has gone down to about 20 or 18 above.  It doesn’t seem much like it because we are exposed to the weather so much.  We keep the stoves on here at the school all night and it is not too bad when we get up in the morning.  This morning we put a liner in our tent.  It is made out of muslin and it goes on the inside of our tent and it hangs down a little bit and leaves a space between the liner and the tent.  It sure helps a lot.  It is white and it makes the inside of thent light too.  I hope we get them in our tent back at the company. 

My cold seems better.  I think I am getting over it fairly good. 

I sure like my bracelet and lighter and the other things in my box.  I hope you get the things I sent for Xmas.   Your should get the things I sent first by the last of this month and the other things I sent last weekend, by the last of January.  I hope you like it OK  They are not much but I thought you would like it.  They were not many gifts I could send to one person so I just sent them to all of you and for the house.

Well I wish I could be home for Xmas.  I guess they are putting up light and trees by now.  They have a tree up here in the mess hall.  Well you can plan on me being home next year for Xhmas any way.  It won’t be to long.  I hate to be away but I don’t mind to much.  After you are away for so long you get fairly use to it.  There isn’t much you can do about it.  I am doing fine and we can make up for this Xmas next year.  Well think I will go to bed now.  I will write later.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment