Thursday, June 16, 2011

December 23, 1953

                                                                                                       

Dec 23, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I got a letter today and 4 big packages.  I got your box of cookies and the other Xmas box from you with the Jim Beam in it.  I was sure tickled with it.  I got Evelyn’s box and Edith’s box (note: Aunts)  Both were filled full and I sure thought it was nice of them to send it.  Everything will come in handy.  I have plenty of food, more than I know what to do with.  You had better hold up on the those packages for awhile because I am getting so much I don’t know what to do with all of it.  Edith sent me a lot of toilet articles and cigarettes.  You probably know what was in the boxes they sent.  Be sure to tell them I got them and tell them how much I enjoyed everything and I will write them myself.

I may go back to the company tomorrow night and spend Xmas.  Semonie and Zink our going back and I think I will go back and take a box back. 

Tomorrow is our last day of school except for Saturday.  We have a lot of tests tomorrow.  I got 75 out of 80 on my last class.  This afternoon we had our troop leadership reaction test out in the field. 

About those packages.  I think I have been getting them OK.  You said that one package had shave lotion.  Was it or not. It sure tasted like shaving lotion (note: that must be the one he thought might have been rum he drank it anyway I guess)  I thought it was something else till I tasted it and really couldn’t figure out what it was. Oh, well.

One of the guys got a paper Xmas tree and it is set up now.  One of the guys wrote a poem about the First Sgt and wrapped a small bottle of whiskey and set it under the Xmas tree.  When he came though the tent inspecting, he found it.  He must have gotten a kick out of it.  We did well on the inspection.  Don’t know much more to say so I will close.
Love, Ted 
                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment