Thursday, June 30, 2011

January 9, 1954

Jan 7, 1954
Thursday

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I thought I had better write you tonight.  I didn’t get a chance last night.  The houseboy washed my clothes yesterday and they would not try outside so I was busy doing them by the fire last night.  Yesterday we didn’t do much of anything.  I had head count in the mess hall yesterday for all three meals.  I haven’t had guard since I have been back.  May be because I am a squad leader or may be they forgot to put my name back of the roster.  I hate to ask.  Head count is just sitting at a table at the beginning of the food line and count the number of people who eat.  There were less than 200 who ate yesterday.  We got rations for over 250 men.  Our company is weak right now because so many guys are going home now. 

Last night I saw a good show.  It was “Fort Ti.”  It was filmed in 3D but over here it was just a regular picture.  I think you said you took Snapper to see that a while back.  The night before that I saw “Arrowhead.”  Tonight I saw “The Affairs of Dobie Gillis.”

Today we had PT.  We did nothing but double time or an hour.  It was cold and was just right for running.  This afternoon we had some Red Cross girls in the mess hall serving coffee and doughnuts.  They had plenty.  They also had some silly games they were playing etc.  That is the first time I have seen the Red Cross while over here but I haven’t seen enough.

Sgt Miller said Captain Book put me in for Corporal today and wrote a letter on me.  I don’t know what the letter was or what the outcome will be.  I’ll let you know in a week or two.

Didn’t get any letters today.  So don’t know much news from home.  Don’t know any news about rations or anything.  I think the guys who get to go will be the old timers.

Those articles in the paper you sent looked good didn’t they.  Sounds like the Reds might think a lot before they start up again.  I don’t think they will for quite a while any way. 

I heard the tour is only 12 months now.  I hope so. 

Haven’t heard any more about going to Japan yet.  Will probably leave around the 18th of Jan.  Just eleven more days.  We have been having an IG inspection the last few days and a big one this Saturday. 

We are going out on another overnight probably this Monday.  Hope it’s the last one for me for while.

What have you heard from Jim and Roslyn.  Hope the baby is doing OK now.

Well I don’t have much more to write.  I’ll write more later on.  They issued ration books today for cigarettes.  I don’t know how many cartons a week now we can buy but will probably be plenty.  They are trying to stop black market stuff.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment