Tuesday, June 28, 2011

January 4, 1954

Jan 3, 1953 Sun (note: Dad addressed the letter like this, his mistake, not mine.)

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Not much new today but thought I would write you a short line.  I probably won’t get a chance to write for a few days or may be I can Tuesday if we get back.  We are leaving tomorrow afternoon for all night at least.  Its sure going to be cold out there sleeping on the ground but like they say in the Infantry, “It’s never to cold, hot, or a hill that can’t be climbed.  A job no one else will do the Infantry does it.”

We saw a TV short last night in place of a movie.  They don’t go over to much here.  I like them once in a while.  This afternoon we saw another Special Service Show.  It was put on by the guys in the 2nd Division.  I took some pictures of it.  I think I will go to the show tonight.  Not much else to do.

How are Jim and Roslyn and the baby now?  Hope it gets OK.

I didn’t get any mail today, may be I’ll get some later tonight.  Some times it comes around 2 or 3 times a day.

Well I am still looking forward to school in Japan.  It’s going to be quite a trip but will be worth it and I will see a lot of the country I haven’t seen for awhile.  I will go to Pusan on the train and then take a boast over to Japan and probably go by train to Eta Jima.  Besides the trip I will learn something in school.  If I keep on going to these instructor schools they will have me giving classes back in the company.  The school will be fairly easy because I had about the same course in NCO School only not as much time as 2 weeks.  What ever I do will be worth the trip however. I’ll miss a month of this training and cold weather. 

I was wondering what rank Glen had because I wanted to know if rank was very easy in Germany.  It sure is hard to get there.  Carlin I see made Corporal.  He was here when the war was on and only got corporal.  So you can see by that.  I hope I can make Sgt but it will be hard to do.  I have a good chance to do it.  If I would make SFC (Sgt First Class) I might stay in for another year.  Don’t worry though not much chanced of that.  They have a deal now that anyone who is a corporal or above can go to helicopter school  something like that would be worth while.  They graduate a Warrant Officer when they finish their training.  I will have learned a good trade.  The state patrol uses helicopters once in a while and before long they will be used for a lot of things. (note: Nostrodamas move over.)  So far I haven’t learned a trade in the army except hot to soldier 

Well I don’t know much know much more to write about so I will close .  I’ll write when we get back off our problem.
Love, Te

No comments:

Post a Comment