Tuesday, January 31, 2012

June 26, 1954


Sat  June 26, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well Thursday I came in off the field and got paid etc for R&R.  I drew 115 this month.  While I was there I checked to see why my pay had been so much.  This month is the first time they have kept out anything for that 50 dollars allotment I have going home.  So I had been getting back pay etc.  My pay had been right.  Now that I am Sgt I should draw 111 plus the 50 they send home.  Which make 161.  I think I draw some money for the naval reserve time.  (note: this is a little confusing to me.  I did not really know he was ever in the naval reserve.  If so how did he get drafted?  Might have been something like ROTC, but ROTC at Northeast has always been army.  Just a family historical loss I guess.)

Well I stayed back in our Co Thurs night and Friday morning they took us to Co. C 8069 the R&R center for the Pusan area.  We are going to Camp Hakato Japan; from there we can go any place we want to.  I might go to Tokyo.  We were supposed to leave last night but they said the 5 RCT sent us a day early so we have to wait till tonight.  They send us by boat to Japan and the same way coming back.  Haven’t anything to do but lay around till this even.  It is an overnight run to Japan.  So it will be Sunday morning before I get started etc.  We have to process in Japan again.  The first thing I am go8ing to do is send somethi9ng home and after that take in the sites and look around. 

Well not much more to say.  I will write again from Japan.  I won’t get any mail till I get back to camp so I’ll write late.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment