Monday, September 19, 2011

March 24, 1954

Mar 24, 1954  Wed

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I thought I better write today as I didn't yesterday.  I got a letter yesterday from Dad, Mar 17 and one from JQ.  To bad about Lockman, that was Walt Lockman wasn't it?  You said he got shot and died but you did not say how he got shot.  I use to play with his son a few years ago.  He also worked at Byaanes when I did.  His nickname was Bunny.  Did you say the booze had him the last few years.

JQ didn't have much to say.  Might get some mail later on today. Haven't had any yet.

I am going to send off for a pair of jump boots as soon as I can make out a money order.  They are the regular Cochran jump boots.  They are about the best you can get.

(his back then)      (the kind I had)

I would like to know what size shoes Snapper wears so I can send him a pair.  They make them for little kids but I don't know whether he is big enough for them.  Let me know what size. (note: I never received a pair.)

Sgt Josephson just came back from R&R.  He brought my pictures back and some were pretty good.  I'll send a few like I did before.

Or company had guard again tonight.  I didn't get it.  Yesterday we had a talk by the Bn Commander he told us we were leaving about the 1st of April.  He said one company would be at Mayson about 25 miles west of Pusan.  Today we found out that George company was going to Mayson instead of Pusan.  Everyone was put out.  It is not nice as nice as Pusan.

I got paid yesterday for 23 days.  I got $83.  I only put 30 in deposit.  I bought 10 dollars worth of Won (Korean Money).  They said we will need it at Pusan.  Lt. Wheeler said today that I was going to be the last man to go from the 4th platoon when we move.  So I will be here longer than any of the rest.  When I find out more I'll let you know.  I found out today that I will not be able to get any money orders till I move so I think I'll let you send for them for me if you don't mind.  Send a check for $12.87 to them and have the boots sent to my address over here.  I will probably get them faster that way. (note: the last pair of jump boots I bought cost over $50, and I hear they are closer to $100 now.)  Mark the check as the one on the slip.  Put my return address on the envelope.  Take the money out of my account.  Well  don't know much else to say so I will close.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment