Wednesday, September 21, 2011

March 25, 1954



Mar 25, 1954  Friday

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got quite a bit of mail tonight.  I had a letter from Marian and finally one from Richard.  It was a long time getting here.  I had two letter from you.  To bad about Lockman.  I read the clippings you sent.  So Margie called you up. (note: Dad's old girl friend that was going to wait for him while he was gone.)  I haven't written her for quite awhile.  I don't care much about writing to her.  She didn't like the way I treated her I guess when she came to California.  Guess she thought I should chase after her because I was going to Korea but I didn't.  I don't think I will chase any of them.  If they like me they can come after me and when they do it I don't care.  Jim probably told her I was getting letters from Jan just to make her mad.  I don't write Jan and I haven't had any letters from her for a long time.  It doesn't bother me if she writes or not.  Jim and Roselin probably said that to Margie just to get her goat.  Marian didn't have much to say.  She sent a picture of them all.  She sure looks different with her hair short and Jimmy sure is big.  Just as tall as Charlie.  No we haven't had much training lately as far as tactics and field problems bu we have a lot of classes on bayonet, unarmed defense, knife fighting, judo, physical training, narcotics, etc.  I think some of that is about as rough as the field problems we have. 

I'll be glad to move in a way.  It should be soon.  Sgt Josephson leaves in the morning in the advanced party.  We will go about the 1st of April.  I will stay and be one of the last to leave.  I don't know how long I'll stay.  May be one day or a week.  I think later on we will go to Hawaii or Japan.  The rumors are strong.  It sure would be nice.

That picture with F.S., From Here to Eternity was good.  About the best picture I have seen.  It is a good picture of the army and how they treat you if they get the chance although they are not supposed to.

I saw Zink today.  He said that their CO took 2 guys out in a jeep 8 miles and made them walk back because they didn't know one of the General Orders.  I have noticed that Capt Book has changed a lot lately.  They are just getting the troops ready for garrison life.  He sure can be mean when he wants to be.  He doesn't bother me any because I can take anything he can do or put out. 

Did you ever get the color pictures I sent to you?  You never did say.  I have quite a few more to send.

Last night I took some of the Won I had bought and played blackjack with the GI's and Koreans.  I took 150 Won to start with and played for an hour and when I was finished I had a stack of Won about 3 inches thick.  I counted it up and it was about $5 worth (1100 Won)  900 Won makes $5.  I only have $15 and I think when I move I will have to carry an extra bag for it.

Snapper does a good job of drawing I think.  Hope he keeps it up.

Richard's letter was nearly a month reaching me.  I don't know why.  It is interesting, I'll send it to you but don't tell his folks they might get the wrong idea about it or something.  He has a good deal there and likes it OK.  I don't guess I will see him before we move.  I am going to write him.

Let me know when you mail the money for the boots.  I was thinking it might be better if you get a money order. 

They came around tonight and said you could get a money order made out if you wanted to.  I had already mailed the letter to you.

Well I have about run out of things to say.  I will write again later.  I may not write you when we are moving but I will try to.  I think the place the 5th is going are  the same places the Regt Don Underwood is in when they were down there.  Headquarters will be at the same place Camp 2 at Pusan.  Let me know where Don U is when you hear.  George Company will be at Ma-san. 
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment