Monday, September 5, 2011

March 8, 1954



Monday  March 8, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

We are going on a overnight problem today.  I thought I would write you a line before I go.  We are going to leave about 3 PM.  Just finished dinner.  It is cold and cloudy today.  The wind seems to cut right through you.  It will be cold tonight but we have plenty of clothes to keep us warm.  We will be back sometime tomorrow.  Probably around noon.

I don't know to much news.  I saw a good picture last night in the mess hall.  It was the picture you told me about, "From Here to Eternity."  That was one of the best pictures I have seen in a long time.  It is a good example of the army in some ways and the type of men in an outfit. (note: there you are  from a guy who lived during that period.)  The picture was supposed to have taken place in Hawaii at Scofield Barracks.  That is the place the 5th RCT was before they came to Korea.  That is the place we will go back to if they move to Hawaii.  Did you notice that in the picture it was about G Company.  The army is not a whole lot like that now because there are so many draftees, but it some units were there are a lot of RA (Regular Army) they are a lot like that.  The 5th has always been made up of RA.  It isn't any more because of the war.  We have quite a few RA that have from 7 to 12 years in the army.  They sure can be mean when they want too.  The officers are the same way.  But if you like to soldier and the army, you get along OK.  I don't have any trouble with any of them.  In fact I am friendly with them.

There is another picture out about the army that is supposed to be good called "Take the High Ground."  It is about a basic training out fit.  If you see it let me know.

Well don't have much more.  I'll write again when I get back.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment