Sunday, September 18, 2011

March 20, 1954

Mar 20, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

All we did today is get ready for the 5th parade then paraded.  That's about all we did. 

I got two letter today and one was from Dad and the other was from C.S. in Boston (note: that was the Christian Science Church.)  It was a nice letter.  It was sent to me with a list of CS services in the Far East and a list of chaplain's and representatives.  None of them were close to me at all.  I haven't been able to find the Christian Science services here in the 5th or where they are.  I may go to church tomorrow and find out. 

I am on guard tomorrow.  They have so many in the company on guard that cpls have to pull pvt of the guard.  I wont mind it to much. 

Jim's letter was a nice one wasn't it.  Guess they are making it farly well now. 

You have really had some dust storms in KC lately.  Also quite a bit of snow. 

Well this next week we have classes on PT, bayonet, military police duty, guard etc.  I have the PT this Thursday.  I take the whole company out on their daily run and push ups etc.  It will be for one hour.  That will be my first time in command of the company.  I am looking forward to it.  I don't know why I am on the schedule for it.  They usually have the platoon sgts take charge of the PT.  May be some day I'll make Sgt.  If I can I will feel I have got plenty out of my 2 years in the army and have gained something.  Not many make Sgt although there is no more war on.

Capt Book said this morning we will go by train to Pusan.  The place where we will be was at one time a PW camp.  They had communist PW there and turned them loose.  We will have almost everything.  It is right in Pusan. 3 laundry, NCO and EM clubs, tailor shop, barber shops, PX, snack bar and all that.  And we will be 95% guard, constant patrol, gate and tower guards around the compound (post)  There are a lot of civilian personnel there too, women and men.  It should be OK down there.  Well I don't now much more to write about now so will close.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment