Monday, September 19, 2011

March 22, 1954

Mar 22, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

We had our last parade today. It was sure a sight.  I wish I could have taken a few pictures of it.  They had tanks, big guns, Jeeps, trucks, and 3 Bn of Infantrymen. We wore OB with blues scarfs and blue shoulder braid.  The IX Corp Commander was here to inspect us, Major General Macgruder.  He talked to us and told us we were his best unit he had in his corp.  He said we had done all we can here in the corp area and now that we have finished our 26 week training cycle we will have our turn in guarding now, and in a rear area.  If I can locate a copy of his talk I'll send it to you.

No mail today so far.  I got a letter from you yesterday, March 15.  It was quite a long letter. 

As far as I know about the rifle team, we wont do any more practice till we move.  It may get started again and it may not.  It would be nice if it did work out.  When we move the 5th will be split up because there is no room for an entire Regt around Pusan in any one camp.  The 3 Bn will go to different places.  The 2nd Bn will stay with the 5th RCT Headquarters in Pusan and be guards there.  The other Bn will go to other places.  The 45 Div has left for the states in name only and the 40 Div will leave in May or about.

I went to church yesterday A.M.  They were a regular army service.  I enjoyed it.  I guess that was the first time I had been to a church service since I left basic training.  I don't know where the CS chaplain is here yet.  The list I got of CS chaplains or rep didn't have that Hutchinson's name on the list.  The address you sent isn't close to here.  It is quite a way off.  I think it is close to Pusan.

Be sure to send me me Jane's brother's address and let me know if he is in Pusan still.  The place where we are going is also a one time PW camp.  It could be the same place as there are not to many.

I haven't been able to go to Seoul yet.  I would like to go but we may not be here to much longer.  I guess Richard is making out OK there.  We will get paid tomorrow.  It is an early pay because we will be moving almost anytime now.  No one knows the date yet.  I hope it is sometime close.  I will be going on R&R before to long, you might send some money right away.  Send the money I have.  I will send you what I can.  I might go at anytime but I am going to put it off as long as I can.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment