Sunday, September 11, 2011

March 11, 1954

Mar 11, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a letter from Dad today (Mar 5)  Glad to hear everything is OK at the plant.  Glad you like the pictures I have been sending.  I should have some more to send in another 10 days.  So Sam Coomer is an instructor on the lie.  Tell him he had better take care of his job because I a getting some experience in that kind of work.  Just joking, but tell him hello for me anyway.

How come the sudden interest in Judo.  I don't know to much about it but I know enough to take care of myself.  The main thing is to hit first.  I got a kick out of you getting up to go to work.  I remember the time JQ and I set the alarm clock under the bed.  I think it was on New Years eve.  (note: this is a story that was often told.  Dad and his cousin set an alarm clock under the bed that my grandfather and his brother in law were sleeping in, I suspect because they were a little drunk and their wives were mad at them.  The alarm went off about 3 in the morning and my grandfather and uncle started yelling and cussing trying to crawl under the bed to turn it off.)

I got a box of cookies today. (in a can) They were chocolate chip and were sure good.

We had our bayonet class today and it went OK.  Lt Wheeler the 4th Platoon leader gave the class.  Afterward he asked me how it went according to the Method of Instruction.  I told him OK.  He came to the company when I was in school in Eta Jima.  He is airborne and from Kentucky.  He reminds me a lot of Ronnie Wheeler only he is not as dark complected. (note: the Wheelers lived up the street and I grew up with the younger cousins.)

It has been cloud today and it is trying to rain now.  We had an inspection tonight at 4:30 as usual.  Captain Book inspected the 4th Platoon.  He takes turns each night.  He asked me tonight where my home was.  I told him KCMO.  Then he asked me what kind of work my father did.  I told him you were a supervisor at Westinghouse.  That is all he said.  He has been bothering me why he asked.  If he asks anything it is usually about the army.  I can't figure out why he asked.  I felt like asking him why but I didn't. (note: having inspected soldiers in rank I know that you get tired of asking the same old questions all the time.  He was just letting the troops know he cared about them, it is an army thing.)

Not much more news about moving yet.  Some rumors.  When I learn something new I'll let you know.  Well I'll write tomorrow.  Hope Snapper's mumps are OK now.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment