Monday, August 29, 2011

March 6, 1954

Saturday Mar 6, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a box today from you.  It had the pecan delights, Carmel's, and rum and maple.  I am smoking the rum and maple and eating the candy.  I sure enjoy everything.  That sure is good candy.

Haven't done much of anything.  We had a parade this morning.  We also had an inspection yesterday in ranks.  I hadn't had my stripes sewed on yet.  He told me the next time he saw me that he wanted to see them on.  So last night I sewed them on my field jacket.

Word came today that we are moving the first of April to three different places.  The Regt will be split up.  The places are Pusan, Kojedo, Chge-do.  Kojedo is right off the coast of Pusan. Chge-do is along somewhere there too.  I am not sure how they will spell that name.  It is pronounced Cheayes-do.  I don't know where we will be moving to.  In fact I am just going to forget it till we move.  They may change it or anything.

Today we had anyone go out for the Regt rifle team who wanted to.  I thought I would try out for it.  They did not fire today just talked to us.  One of our Lt is in charge of the team or the men trying for it.  We go out tomorrow and fire.  I hope I can make the team.  It will be a good deal.  If everything goes OK they may go against other teams in the Far East, Japan, etc. and later on in August or Sept go to the National meat in Ohio.  They want people who will be here till October or after so it s just right for me.  That would be a nice trip to before I go home.  I could have time to stop in KC on the way to Ohio. But that is a long way off.  They said this morning might slow things up a bit.  We will probably fire quite a bit for several weeks before they pick the team.  I should be able to make it if I fire like I did in basic.  It has been quite awhile since I shot for record.

The letter I got today was the one you wrote in the car on the way down town.  Well not much to news.  The sun is shining and it is warm in the sun but the wind is cold.  Will write again soon.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment