Saturday, August 13, 2011

Feb 20, 1954

Sat Feb 20, 1954
George Company

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I am back in the company now I was kind of glad to get back in away.  We rode all night in a train and got to a depot about 2.5 miles from here yesterday morning.  I came back to the co. yesterday afternoon.  I was sure disappointed when I got back.  You know the 45 Div is leaving for the states and leaving their men here.  They split all the men up into different groups.  The 5RCT got 1000 men, all Cpls and Sgts.  George Co got 37 Cpls and 15 Sgts.  They took all the jobs according to their rank.  So I was back to asst gunner.  I am not squad leader anymore, for awhile anyway.

Most all the Cpls will leave in 4 months to go home.  I haven’t made Cpl yet and it will be harder to make now than ever.  Cpt Book had put me in for Cpl with a special letter and he hasn’t got an answer yet.  I don’t know what the out come will be now.  I don’t know what they gained by sending the Div back to the states and leaving all the men here.

Guthmiller made Cpl this month so he got to keep his squad leaders job.  I am in his squad now. 

I had about 40 letters and 2 boxes of cook when I got back.  I’ll be a long time answering them.  I’ll have to slow down quite a bit.  Well I think I will stop now.  The Red Cross girls are here serving coffee and doughnuts so I am going after some…………….

I am back again.  I got another letter from Dad awhile ago dated Feb 14.  I guess Richard has a good dear now.  He hasn’t got it so bad in Seoul.  MPs over here have it pretty good.  They ride around in jeeps, walk the streets, direct traffic etc.  I wouldn’t mind something like that.

Thanks for the pictures you sent.  I will have some fun with them.  I also enjoyed reading the letter I wrote in the Westinghouse news also about the article in the paper about NCO school.  I remember when I was there I filled out a paper with my home address and your names.  They must get the news from that.  I filled one out at Eta Jima too.  So watch the paper

I am glad you like the robe Dad.  I thought you would enjoy it.  I liked it myself.  It is usually worn around the house over your pants and shirt, not necessarily over pajamas.  How did the jacket fit.  Also how did the one fits Snapper. (note: Both fit fine.) 

Thanks for the valentines and the money.  They sure were sweet.  I had a lett from Jim and Rosalyn but they hadn’t moved yet.  I will write to the new address you sent.  I got a letter form Marian too.  She sent a picture of her and Jimmie.  He sure is growing. (note: Jimmie grew up to become a profess or Spanish at a major university in Indiana.)  Marian said he is quite a book worm.  I showed Marian’s picture to some of the guys and they thought she was my girlfriend.  They did not believe she was 39 years old. (note:  Given the fact that Marian and my grandmother were on the outs I bet she really liked hearing that – not.  Many years later Marian contracted Alzheimer but did remain a real beauty till her death.)

About the tax statements.  I don’t know what to do.  I guess I’ll wait awhile and see what you do about Snapper.  They haven’t said anything here about paying income tax.  Let me know just what you do.

Simonie never has heard from Marilyn yet.  I guess her mother doesn’t want her to write.  He asked me several times while I was reading my letters if you said anthing.  He is going to Japan now.  He is going to an intelligence school for 3 weeks and Camp Drake.  He is getting a good deal.  He leaves about March 1st.  Wish I could get another school  Probably won’t get anymore.  

I couldn’t find a Zippo lighter just like I wanted to send Dad.  They had a lot of Ronson type but they weren’t very good.  I will be able to get one for you on R&R also the things you sent on the list.  The pearls I saw were mostly cultured pearls.  They are supposed to be good.  A good single strand cost around 25 dollars.  Let me know what you think.

About where Eta Jima is.  You find Korea on the map.  Well Eta Jima is one of the 2 Islands right off the from Kure.  You have to go there by a ferryboat.  I don’t think it is named on a map.  Those cars you saw were officer’s cars.  All the camps are fairly modern like the pictures. 

Marilyn Monroe was here while I was gone.  She was at the 40 Div.  They took the 5RCT up there in trucks.  I sure would have liked to have seen her.  You probably read about it in the paper.

I am sending you some pictures of some Moose or Mayas.  I found them when I was in Pusan.  I thought you might like to look at them.  They don’t look as good as the Jo Sans in Japan.

What did you think of the picture I sent of the Jo San in Eta Jima. (note: I am not sure if Jo San was meant to be plural or if it meant the one he dated while he was there.) 

Sounds like Snapper is doing OK in school from the looks of his grade card.  I hope he keeps it up.

I am sending you another picture of myself in color and another one of myself in Eta Jima.  I still have a lot of pictures to send yet. 

Well I think I will close now and I will write you later on tomorrow and read my letters again and try to answer them.  Well hope things work out over here.  Maybe I’ll make Cpl yet.  I am looking forward to that package from Kentucky. (note:  You want to bet it wasn’t Old Kentucky in a Old Spice bottle.)
                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment