Monday, August 22, 2011

Feb 27, 1954

Sat.  Feb 27, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got the big package today with all the good things to eat, smoke, and drink.  The package got here in good shape.  I opened the Italian sausage up.  The paper under the tine foil was molded.  I asked Simonie what it was and he said it was nothing.  We scraped it off and ate it.  It was OK and tasted good.  Simonie said it always does that but doesn’t hurt the meat.  He gets it all the time from home.  That kind of food is all he eats at home.  We snacked all afternoon on cheese, sausage, and crackers.  I am going to start on the fruit cake tonight.

I also got a letter from Dad today (Feb 20.)  Sounds like we are getting the rain you had.  It has been raining all day and last night.  It may be the start of the rainy season.

We had an inspection today in the tent of all the clothes.  I had an extra duffel bag full of things.  I took it over the hill and hid it till after the inspection.  I got a lot of socks, fatigues, and shorts when I came back through Sasebo.  In fact I got a whole issue of clothes there.  When I came back here I kept what I wanted and turned the rest in.  I am well fixed on short and t-shirts.  I have about 8 pairs of wool socks too.  I won’t have to worry for awhile.  I know the boys in supply pretty good and they always fix me up with anything new I need.  I got an extra field jacket out of them yesterday.

No more news on rotation or moving so I don’t know much more to say.  I’ll write you again before long.  Haven’t heard from Jim since they moved to Springfield.  How about you.
Lots of Love, Ted
Thanks for the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment