Saturday, August 27, 2011

March 4, 1954

Mar 4, 1954
Thursday

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I guess by the letter you got before this one that I made cpl.  I said something in the letter about t and before I mailed it I found out for sure so I put it on the envelope.  I was told by the platoon leader that I was Cpl.  I am sure glad I made it.  It means about $135 per month and 77 dollars for you.  I was lucky to get it.  I got it just in time.  Otherwise it would have been awhile yet.  I have plenty of time now to try for Sgt.  I made PFC in 2 1/2 months and cpl in about 3 months.  So I am ahead of most of the guys.  Most of the guys are here about 8 months before they make cpl.  During the war they made it faster of course.

I got three letters today. Feb 24, 25, 26.  I still haven't got any letter from you that said anything about me being back.  I should get one of those letters before long.  Johnnie said something in his letter about moving but he didn't say he bought a house.  I think it is OK.  I haven't heard anything from Jim and Rosalyn.  I should be hearing from them before long.  If I do I will let you know.

I remember the dust storms they had in the 30s.  I remember the sky was red one time.  I looked out of the window in Sedalia and saw the red sky.  I was little I guess but that is one of the things I can remember and I often think of it among other things. (note: now there is little piece of history.)

Glad you like your smoking jacket.  When I go back to Japan I will send you a nice lighter and whatever else I think you would like.

We had a USO show today.  It was pretty good.  I took some pictures of it.  I heard Marlyn Monroe got a slight case of pneumonia .  I guess they can take the cold over here.  I notice they wrap up quite a bit to trey to stay warm.  The are just not use to it.

We had our hike the other day.  It was more like 15 miles than 10 and it was over hills and rice patties.  It was sure a march.  I don't know if going over the hills or through the rice patties  was worse.

Well don't know much more to say, so I'll close for now.
Lots of Love, Ted

The pictures I sent were taken on our overnight problem and the water fall was on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment