Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Feb 24, 1954

Wed Feb 24, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I got a couple of letters (15 and 16th) one yesterday and one today.  Sounds like you are having some nice weather.  Sure is nice here today.  Just like spring.

We trained some yesterday with the mortar and had a night problem last night.  This morning we had PT.  We ran a long way and I am sure tired out.  We cleaned stoves this afternoon and later we go take showers.  Nothing on tonight that I know of.

I haven’t received any of the packages you sent except the ones that were waiting. (the two boxes of cookies)  They sure were good and I am looking forward to the ones that are on the way.

I am sure the 5th is going to move and I don’t know where or when.  There are three rumors.  One to Pusan, one to I Corps.  The other is to relieve a Greek outfit on the line.  Hope it is to Pusan. 

The rank drops where in today. (note: I guess there were certain time frames when ranks were submitted and decided.)  I don’t know whether the Platoon Sgt put me in for Cpl or not.  We have more Cpls now  than we need and I doubt if I was put in.  I am sure disgusted with the way things are now.  I wouldn’t mind getting into something else but I don’t know what.  It is fairly easy to transfer now. 

I am glad you like your robe etc. that I sent from Japan.  When I go on R&R I’ll send more things.  I am keeping the list you sent and am going to take it with me when I go.  I should go in April sometime but since all these new men came in the company I maybe longer in going.  We have 285 men in the Co now.  We are over strength. 

How did you like the pictures I have been sending.  Kepp them all and when I get home I can have something to remember about the Army, good and bad.  (note: for someone who took so many pictures so few remain.)  Well don’t know much more to write about so I will close.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment