Thursday, March 8, 2012

July 24, 1954

24, 1954  Sat

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Today is Saturday and I haven’t done anything all day. The platoon is on guard and I have just stayed back and laid around most of the day. I haven’t had a letter fro a couple of days but this afternoon I had d3 letters, 2 dated the 16 saying you had not had any mail from me for so long, one on the 17 saying you just got two letter fro me. I don’t understand why it was so long before you got any mail from me. I wrote in the field before I went on R&R and when I came back I have written at least on an average of every other day. I have been getting most of you mail. I wrote the other day and told getting the photos etc. I got the mint candy the other day too. Sound like in you letter it cooled off a little. You haven’t said anything bout the tem going to 120 and all the people dieing from the heat. I saw in the paper today that they had another heat wave. Wish you could get some of the rain we have been getting over here. It has rained steady and hard for about 3 hours now and the way it does over here, it won’t stop for a long while. Because of that we don’t suffer to much from the hot weather.

I am glad Snapper likes to play base ball and its is nice he can go a lot with Quinton to the ball game and be a bat boy. May be when he gets older he will play a lot of base ball. (note: Quinton was my great uncle who was really a base ball fan. He played ball for many years and had some sort of an association with a minor league team. He would take me to the games and I would be a bat boy. I remember doing a pretty good job of it. On a side note, he and my other great uncle Jimmy, use to take me to see the KC Athletics down at the old ball stadium. They would sneak in a bottle of vodka, buy me a large orange drink, have me drink half of it then fill it back up to the brim with the alcohol.)

I sent the Zipo lighter the other day and I also sent the color films to Hawaii to get developed and as soon as they come back I’ll mail them to you. It takes about 3 weeks.

No more news abut moving and as far as I know we are going to the field about the 27. We haven’t done anything since we have bee pulling guard. We have only had oane hour of PT since we left Masan. It’s going to be hard to get started again.

I am on guard tomorrow night and it might be the last time for awhile. I haven’t heard anything from anyone back home. Would like to hear from Jim and learn how he is getting along with his Sgts and what branch he is in.

Well don’t have much more to write for now. I am sorry it was so long between my letter but guess you will receive them regular now. I’ll write more later on.

Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment