Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Letters from July 30 and 31 1954

(note: this letter also was addressed to General Delivery Cheyenne, WY. The date is just as he wrote it. A touch of dyslexics?)

July 30, 1945

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had 3 letters tonight, 21,23, and 24 July. Sure glad to hear from you. Well another pay day tomorrow. They sure fly by. Not many more to go over here. Did you ever get the 50 dollar check yet for that other allotment I made out. Not much new here. It hasn’t rained here today just drizzled and the mud is not quite as bad as it was. We had classes today all day. I got the picture you sent. The color pictures and the plain one of Snapper and his teacher and chum. That has been quite awhile. I think I have had most of the ones you have sent. Hope you didn’t nail Sgt Wood any packages as he will rotate before he get it. He and Sgt Wright will go any time. Sgt Wright seem to be doing on OK now

No that picture Pony Express was a new picture. Charlton Hesston played Buffalo Bill Cody. The story was different that the firs I think. What picture did you say I looked like a Sgt. Which picture were you talking about. Did you get the little billfold shots I sent yet. How did you like those.

About the wedding wring All I can tell you is that I got a letter from either you or Dad and when I opened it up this plain gold Wed ring fell out. It was a small one. Would hardly fit on my little finger. It was dull like brass gets after a while. I thought maybe Dad put it in the letter for a joke or Snapper sent it to me. If I still have it I will send it to you. (note: still don’t know what that is all about.) I figured you new about it. I got a kick out of it. Would like to write Jim. When you write him tell him I sent a letter to his address in Springfield and 2 his first army address in Ft. Bliss. Haven’t had several letters from him. I know the mail doesn’t get lost. So tell him to write. So far I have only had two letters from him.

So far I have written 2 letters to Casper and this is the first letter to Cheyenne. Hope you get them. Think I will just write one more letter to Chy and then the rest to home. Didn’t think you would leave till Aug 2 or later and I am afraid you wont get any more if I mail them later on.

Everything is going fine with me and I am enjoying the field training. Some of the guys don’t like it because of mud and rain but they are young soldiers just over from the states. They crack up, cry etc on the road march and one guy sat on the side of the road and refused to go any further because he said the Co commander said we were only going two miles and we had already gone about 3 or 4. He really blew his top. Another guy today said his arm was paralyzed and couldn’t go on detail or to the field and the platoon Sgt told him to get off his a--- and move. He started crying and they hauled him off to the hospital. You should see the different kind of people in this army. I get a kick out of it.

Well I guess I am going to clean up tomorrow. One of the boys in my squad is baking now and brought me down a piece of cake tonight. He is just helping out. Well not much new to write so I will close . Will write one more letter . hope you are having a nice trip.

Lots of Love and wish I was with you, Ted


July 31, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I am writing another letter today at the end of another month. Today was pay day and I only have 4 more to go over here. They are getting less and less. We didn’t do much of anything today. Had a little inspection this AM and that has been it. I got paid today 123 dollars. I guess they held out a $50 this month and I think last moth too. Have you received any yet you never have said yet. I went to the PX that opened up today nad bought some things to keep from getting hungry between meals. It has been cloudy today but it hasn’t rained and the mud is packed down pretty good. I am getting plenty of sleep etc. Hope you are having a nice trip. I would like to go there some day myself. I guess you are taking a lot of pictures. Wish I could have sent you mine to use and you could have made slides. Well not much knew. This is the last letter and the 4th one I have written. The rest I will write home.

Lots of Love, Ted



No comments:

Post a Comment