Monday, March 26, 2012

Three letters dated Aug 20, 22, 24, 1954

F Friday August 20, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had a letter today Aug 13. I thought you would have more letters than you got. I guess I haven’t been doing a very good job of writing any more but seems like its about the same old thing all the time and nothing new to write about.

I heard over the radio yesterday that 4 Div would be leaving Korea. Today I heard that the 25 Div was going to Hawaii and the 2nd Div was going to the states and small units would also be leaving Korea. I am almost sure that we are going to move anyway but I don’t know where. We didn’t get any replacements and we need them. Those 900 men that were here from the 2nd Div are gone back now. Don’t know why they were here. They didn’t do anything while they were here and they were only here for 3 or 4 day.

We should know whether we are going to move in the next few weeks. I was on guard last night and I am off now till Sunday eve. I didn’t do anything today. Our platoon goes on guard everyday at 5 till midnight. Our company is short of men so we only have 3 relief’s now. They changed it from the company roster to the regular relief. I only pull guard only every 3 days because our Sgt change over.

You said something about the ring again. I think I told you in all the letters about it. I can’t figure out how it got in the letter. I figured it was put in there by Snapper or Dad as a joke. I laughed about it (note: I don’t read ahead so I don’t know if the mystery was ever solved.)

Well the storm blew over and it didn’t amount to much. The sun is hot again and it’s the same old thing here. I have 4 months today before I am due to rotate but I think I’ll still be home by Xmas. Time goes by fairly fast now. I sure have thought a lot of coming home lately. Its going to seem funny to get back to civilization again. We have a new Co Commander again. 1st LT Goldsmith. Think he will be OK. I am sending a few Guard Rosters. Thought you might like to look them over. Did you get the slides I sent. Hope that one of me doesn’t scare you (with the helmet line on) Well I’ll write gain soon.

Love, Ted



Sunday Aug 22, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I guess you have been reading the paper about the Divs moving out of Korea. I guess our outfit is leaving soon. I here its to the states but it is jus a rumor. We are supposed to move the first part of Sept. You write something about sending a birth day package. You better not as we might be gone before I would get it and I don’t need anything. I can buy most anything here I need and I have more than I need now. So why don’t you wait.

I am going to be on guard tomorrow again. I had a letter from you yesterday. Well I hope that if this out fit leave this sp place I can go with it. I will sure be disappointed if I don’t get to go. They wont take every one. I have had a cold the last few days. It’s the firs t bad one I have had since last December. Not much new to write about so I will close . Will write again later.

Love, Ted



Aug 24, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Mot much new to write about but thought I would write a line to let you knw everything si fine. I gout your can of cookies yesterday along with a couple of letters. I get a kidk out of seen the pictures again of the old man next to Jim. (note: he is talking about a picture my grandfather took with his brother in law Jim. He had put on a wig etc.)

I guess summers is about over in KC and Snapper will be going back to school. I didn’t notice the seasons here much. Just the months and pay days. I have been here in Korea about a year now. I hope I don’t have much longer to do over here and that I get to leave with the outfit when it leaves. I am certain now they will leave but they may just take a few troop with them when they leave. You have probably been reading about the Div moving etc. It will all bee soon. The Koreas don’t lit it and they have parades and carry signs. They say we are afraid of the red etc. I get so mad at these people over here and how stupid they are.

I was on guard yesterday and we had quite a time with the people on the docks. LT Wheeler the O.G. took two gooks off for fighting and after he left some other Korean was running down the docks from a Korean policeman. He ran past me and I told him to halt withy my .45 and when he didn’t stop I put the .45 back in my holster and took out running after him and when I was a few feet from him he stopped and the Koran policeman worked him over. We caught a couple of Korans stealing and we took them in to the MPs. We also found a baby in the water some one had thrown in to get rid of it. Sure was a sight.

The IG is here today looking over the company. The weather is fairly good, not to hot, no rain. Well that’s about all that I know new. Write me any new s from home you herar about the troops moving.

Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment