Thursday, March 22, 2012

Letters dated11, 14, 15, 1954

Aug 11, 1954 Wed

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had several letter from you since you left home but I haven’t answered them yet. I saw the Royal Gorge in Colo when we were out their in 1947 and also Sladia and the Minarck Pass. It was a pretty drive fro Sladia to Colo Springs.

Not much new here to tell. It is still hot and we have been in the field everyday and it was so hot that 28 men passed out from the heat and they called the problem off and sent us down to the creek to cool off till evening. We have a field problem I the morning and then we will go back to Pusan tomorrow afternoon. Guess we will have guard again. I got the slides back I took in Japan and Pusan on the beach. I’ll send them to you. I thought you might stay on your trip longer than you are but the card I got today said you were ready to start back to KC. To bad Snapper got to feeling bad. I wrote two letters to Casper and 2 letters to Cheyenne. I guess you won’t get them now. I would have mailed them to Colo instead if I had known soon enough. (note: We went as far as Colo and the trip was nice enough but I do remember getting sick which might have had something to do with the altitude. I still have trouble being over 7000 feet even in a non pressurized plane.)

I still hear rumors of the 5th RCT moving but don’t know anything as yet. Hope they do move because the time will seem to go faster when we move even if it is just here in Korea. I have been hear all most 12 months now. Well I’ll write again when we get back to Pusan.

Lots of Love, Ted



August 14, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well we came back from the field Thursday afternoon and yesterday we cleaned up all of our field equipment and this morning we had an inspection.

Its been hot here for the last couple of days we have been back. Even the nights are hot.

They gave everyone a box of stationery this morning and it has our patch and regt crest at the top. How to you like it. I had a letter yesterday that you write when you got back home. You didn’t stay long on you trip. I thought you were going to stay longer.

We start guard tomorrow again. I thin it will run about the same as last time.

Well I am still section leader in the 57s. So far it has been OK and my section had the best inspection of the 4th Platoon etc today. I have 3 squad leaders under me and each squad has 7 men in it so that makes about 21 men I have to take care of and it is a job at times. You have all kinds of guys to put up with but they don’t seem to give me much trouble and seem to work pretty good.

I think there is something going on over here, I don’t know just what . Thursday when we came in the Regt Commander took 2 platoons from Fox Company and sent them to Seoul and they flew them up there. I don’t know what for. They had a riot or something I heard.

This afternoon we have been cleaning up our area for a company to move in. So we may be leaving here before long. When I find out I’ll let you know.

Well I can’t think of much to write about any more of interest. Same old stuff around here. I’ll write you again in a while. Hope Snapper is doing OK now. Wish I could have been with you on the trip. May be when I get home we can to Yellow Stone. When I get the letters back from Wyo I’ll send them to you.

Lots of Love, Ted

Sunday August 15, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I haven’t done much today. It sue has been hot today. Yesterday the 2 Div of about 900 men moved into this camp and each company here is feeding about 150 men. No one knows for sure just what they are doing here. The word is that they are here to help out in an expected riot here in Pusan and to help guard etc. Hope they are going to take over and we are going to move out. Time will tell.

Well I will be on guard in the morning from8 AM to 5 PM. I am Sgt of the Guard this time instead of Pier Sgt. I’ll be over the guards on Piers 3 and 4 of about 37 men. Quite a bit of responsibility but I can do it. I like to pull guard because there is always something going on.

I had a letter yesterday from Dad with the pictures of the Opera House. Sounds like you really had a nice trip.

I didn’t know Mr Ritter was Super of Cave of the Winds. (Note: Mr. Ritter was the principal of Mt Washington grade school when my grandmother went there. He had retired and moved out to Colo I guess. She came upon him by accident while walking through the cave. He is the one who placed Mama with Mother Stone, her Foster Mother.)

Your tirp sure didn’t cost you much and your car did good too. Sorry to hear about Mr Garett, what was wrong with him.

Did you get the letter about me telling about the ring? (note: this about the 3rd time he has mentioned this.) Did you ever figure out where it came from. Did you ever get those $50 checks. You haven’t said anything yet.

I looked at the slide today through a viewer, they seemed to be pretty good. I’ll send them to you as soon as I can.

Did you ever read in the paper about my going on R&R etc. You might have missed it while you were gone. Some of the guys are getting mail from home telling them it was in the paper. Well I’ll write you again later on.

Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment