Saturday, March 31, 2012

Letterd dated Septemeber 11, 13, and 16, 1954



Saturday Sept 11, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had two letter from you yesterday afternoon Sept 3 and 4. Nut much doing today. I am on guard tomorrow which I am glad to do as I get tired of doing nothing for 3 days at a time. I get plenty of rest though.

Don’t fee to bad about me not leaving with the outfit. I was disappointed OK but I didn’t feel fad about it. I am getting used to things like that anymore. I guess I had my last chance to go yesterday as the CO sent the 1st Sgt over to ask me if I would go again and I said no. I am kind of sorry I didn’t say yes in a way as I think I would like it at Ft Lewis. Yes I will stay here 15 months but those guys that are leaving here in 14 are mostly going to get discharged and can’t stay 16 moths as in my case. (note: I think he is explaining that he will have been in Korea for 15 months by the time he returns.) And some of the 14 month guys, now, have had some combat time which counts some. Hope you don’t write Symington about anything as it would do any good and I would probably have to see the Col about it. (note: Stuart Symington was the Senator from Missouri, if I remember correctly my grandfather was going to write him and tell him and demand that Dad come home because he had been in Korea a year.) I only have 3 months and 10 day to do over here. It should go fairly fast and I should get away early as every one else has left 2 week early.

I guess if the 5th would have got to Camp Carson, Colo. I would have probably taken another year and gone back as I would have been close to home. I had just as well be over seas as to be in Ft Lewis.

I didn’t catch would Dad said about alligators swimming around in the Missouri River. What did you mean. (note: It seems that I have a vague memory of some urban legend going on at the time that there were some alligators in the Missouri river.)

I guess the weather should start getting milder in KC now. It’s hot over here and has been for a couple of days. Has Jan still got the Dairy Queen. Are they going to close it this winter. If they do I guess they will be looking for work. (note: Mom and a sister-in-law ran a Dairy Queen on the corner of 24 and Noland Rd. Back then DQs only stayed opened during the summer. The sister-in-law ran off with all the money. That is when mom went to work for the telephone company.) Does she still drive the Chevy she bout from me. (note: It was a yellow convertible.)

Today is a holiday for the Koreans. I think it is their Xmas. Well not much new towrite about so I will close. Hope I get some mail today again.

Love, Ted



Monday Sept 13, 1954 9:30 AM KAT

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How is everything going? (note: one of the first times he has used a question mark.) I don’t have much to write about but thought I would write a line anyway. It s raining and the wind is blowing today. I think there is another typhoon on the way.

I was on guard yesterday again. I think that will probably be my last time. With 5 RCT anyway. We finish in a couple of days and some one else will take over. Not much going on yesterday. Ti was Sunday and there was only one ship unloading. We did get a couple of Koreans for eating potatoes on the ship. I didn’t see any mail yesterday but I should get some today.

12 men went home today and that puts me father down the list. I think I am about 42 or 43 now. I don’t know how I will stand when the 24 Div moved in. I should keep the same rotation date anyway as they can’t keep me to much longer than Dec 20. I think there will be another drop this week which will get a few more men.

Still no word for sure as th what they will do with us but it pretty certain that we will be in the 24 Div, no change of addresses yet. Be sure to write me what Jane’s brother’s address is. The 25 Div moved 3,700 men now from Korea. It will take 1 month to get them all moved. I guess the 2nd Div is moving now. Now word on the other Divs moving yet. They just have the 3rd, 7th, 24th and 1st Marine Div here now. The air force is starting to move out and they are taking the AAA from the Pusan. That is Anti-Aircraft Artillery. They have guns set up around Pusan and the harbor area.

Have you heard of Operation Glory. that is taking place here in Pusan on Pier #1. The 5 RCT has an honor guard there during the operation. I think it is about over now. You might see it on TV or news reels. If you do you’ll know that’s where we are pulling guard. I thin Easy Co had Pier 1 and 2 and George Co has 3 and 4. Well not much new to add. So I will close. I will write again late.

Love, Ted



Sept 16, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well we are finished with guard for a while now and the 5 RCT is about no more in Korea at last. The 24 Div, 19 RGT, 1st Bn, took over our guard on the docks at Pusan. I didn’t have anything to do and I was tired of laying around so I went on guard Tue night at midnight and pulled till Wed morning at 8 AM. This is probably the last time I will pull guard with the 5 RCT. We had a company party yesterday afternoon at the beach. It was a little to cold to swim and anyway the ocean had quite an undertow so they would let anyone swim anyway so I didn’t go in. The 5 RCT has an officers club there. Kind of beach house. We had been, cold cuts, potato salad etc. I filled up with everything and helped out behind the bard. It went pretty good. They on had one fight. We had 45 cases of beer there which made an average of 14 can per man.

I had two letters from you yesterday Sept 7 and 8. Glad to get them. I haven’t been told where I am going yet but the company commander said that most everyone would stay right here in this company and be in the George Co of the 19th Rgt. No new address yet. The 5 RCT hasn’t let yet but they are ready to leave. They have their cadre picked and men are coming to the out fit from all most every Div to go back with the 5th. Most of them are Regular Army. I think they leave on the ship about the 27 of Sept. The 19 Regt will be moved in to camp #2 in the next few days. They have all ready moved into the 1st Bn.

Well I have 13 weeks and 4 days left till Dec 20. That’s 95 days. Hope it isn’t that long and I don’t thin it will be.

That wasn’t a very big article you sent me about the 5 RCT moving out of Korea to Ft. Lewis. Those parakeets are cute if they are tamed (note: my grandfather started buying parakeets for pets, he did this for several year. One died laying an egg, another flew into are front door and broke his neck, and another was eaten by the cat.) I have always liked them and would have brought one home but didn’t think it would have gone over to good. I bet the kitchen will looks nice when you get it finished and the back porch too.

If I figured right that make 3 checks you have got for 50. July, Aug, Sept. I drew $163 last pay day. I don’t know why I drew so much money all the time. I should get 161-50=111. Hope they are not over paying me any. Don’t know much more to write about so I will close off. I’ll write later on.

Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment