Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Letters dated Aug 3, 4 and 7, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had three letters tonight. I hadn’t had any for a couple of days now and I was glad to get them. Today is the first day we have had that the sun shined. It has rained almost everyday and night except this afternoon.

We fired our 57 today and it was pretty good. Sgt Wood left yesterday and 15 others. I am about 56 on the list now. When we were in Masan I was 122. I have had the section since Sgt Wood left. It’s a little better than a squad. I figured you would be going to Yellow Stone on your vacation and I wrote 2 letters to Casper and 2 to Cheyenne. I guess if you don’t go they will send them back.

That sounded like a real meal you had with the bunch at the chuck wagon dinner. You seemed not to know about that wedding ring I got. I wrote it in one of the letters I sent to Wyoming so I will write it again.

I had a letter from either Dad or Mom and when I opened the letter this ring was in the letter. It was a plane band and it would hardly fit on m little finger. It was tarnished and not bright. I thought it was a pretty good joke and that Dad probably put it in the letter or Snapper for a joke. If you didn’t do it I am wondering now who did do it, I am wondering about it now.

Well I don’t know much more so I will close. I’ll write again soon.

Lots of Love, Ted



Wed Aug 4, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had a letter tonight from you, a box of cookies and a Union Beacon from Westinghouse. I know Jack McCleary. I didn’t know he worked at Westinghouse. How long has he been there. He is a Fairmount boy and he was a year ahead of me in school. I was in a lot of classes with the girl he married. I can’t remember her name. Jack and Jimmy Underwood were in the Coast Guard together. Tell him hello when you see him again.

I guess by now you are well on your trip and when you read this letter you will be home.

Well we didn’t do anything today much. This morning we got to got to the water falls and wash our selves and clothes. The sun was out good today and it was plenty hot. I sweat just sitting around and when you exert yourself it runs off of you. The water was ice cold and you could not stand to stay in it very long. This is sure a crazy country. It looks as if it might rain tonight. I got sun burned today and my back is a little sore and it’s the first time I have been sun burned since the summer before I came in the army.

Well we have about 10 more day out here and when we get back in Pusan and get cleaned up we will be ready for the annual IG Inspection. It will be Sept and after that just 2 or 3 more months and I will be on my way home. I look to be home my Xmas but don’t count on it. Well I guess that is about it for now so will close.

Lots of Love, Mac



Aug 7, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I haven’t had any mail for a couple of days. The last one I had was written the night before you started on you vacation. I guess by this time you will be on you way to the vacation land in the scenic Colo Rockies. Well it hasn’t rained here for a few days now but everyone wished it would. It is sure hot. The day before yesterday we were out in the field and it was 6 miles out. We were all ringing wet with sweat when we go there and it was fairly early in the day. We were to start our problem after lunch and by the time we had left our position and went back to eat lunch everyone was about out of it and had chills. We didn’t have anyone pass out in our company but another company had 12 pass out from the heat. Bn called the problem off till evening. Everyone just go in the shade and laid there. A cloud came over and we had a down pour that lasted for a few minutes. It sure felt good and cooled things off. It seemed to come from no where. It just rained in our area.

This AM we had an inspection and this afternoon we went to the swimming hole and cooled off. That’s about it. We will be here till about the 13th, that’s next Friday and then we will go back to Pusan and I don’t know what will take place after we get back there. More guard I guess.

This has been about the worse I have seen in the field. Even the winter wasn’t as bad as this. No one got along, men are sick and its either hot or muddy. Things are not to good in the company since the 1st left and Capt Book awhile back. Nothing seems to go smooth any more and since Sgt Josephson left while I was on R&R to go home the 4th platoon hasn’t been to good either. So far I like this staying out in the field. Wouldn’t mind staying longer. I like living out in the hills, eating out and sleep on the ground and walking thought the hills and washing in a water fall. Most of the guys from the south and west like ti pretty good too and the ones who have trouble are mostly from the east. Seems like there are a log to guys from the south and west in the company. So I put Missouri in the south and west. Call myself a rebel and Save you money because the South will rise again.

Hope your trip is going OK and Snapper is enjoying it.

I haven’t heard from Jim yet or anyone else. The letter I wrote Larry wasn’t much of anything. He asked me about the women in Korean and the army etc. and I told him. Hope Evelyn doesn’t blame me for him leaving his job. I tried to encourage him a little bit.

Well I don’t know much more to write about so I guess I will close for now. Will write again.

Lots of Love, Ted


No comments:

Post a Comment