Saturday, March 24, 2012

Two letters dated Aug 17, 1954

¦ August 17, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Not much new at this end but thought I would write you a line and let you know every thing is OK.

I was on guard yesterday all day. Not much of anything went on. It was fairly quiet. I went to be early last night and today I don’t have much to do. I go on guard again tonight at 3 PM till midnight.

I haven’t received any mail from you yet today (or yesterday) but will probably get a letter today. I have the 35 color slides ready to mail and I will try to get them off today. I took some of Fuknyoka, Japan and on the LST on the way back and some of the K9 Beach we went to that day for the company party.

The guard is mixed up this time. I hope they get it straight this time. Its done by company roster rather than by platoon like it was the last time. Everyone seems to think the 5th is moving soon but no word on it for sure as yet. I doubt if it will be back to the states. I forgot to tell you not to send anymore packages for a while as the hot weather they are not keeping to good and we might be moving soon anyway.

Have you heard from Arkie yet. He should be home by now.

Well I don’t know much more to write about so I will close for now. I’ll write again soon.

Lots of Love, Ted



August 17, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

This is my 2nd letter today. I got a letter from you awhile ago telling me you saw Arkie and you also sent the clipping about the 3 Div moving out of Korea. That makes sense , the rumors I have heard about us moving and I think I have told you about them. I hope we are luck to move and not have to stay here and black. (note: I don’t understand, but there is no other way to read the line.)

Arkie sure has gained weight hadn’t he.

We had s storm warning at noon and took all of our signs down etc., nail the window shut etc. A typhoon is coming around 5 PM today with winds up to 70 mph. I am going to be on guard on the docks. I hope it doesn’t get to bad.

I had a letter from Jim today. Didn’t have much to say. Sounds like his basic is much better than mine was.

Well I don’t know much more to say. Just thought I would write you a line and let you know the news. When I heard something I’ll let you know. How come Don doesn’t like the Army. Will write later.

Lots of Love, Ted



No comments:

Post a Comment