Monday, April 2, 2012

Letters 18, 20, 21 September 1954

Saturday Sept 18, 1954 (note: a couple of these letters may be out of order.)

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

No mail for the last couple of days. The last was Sept 9 and 10. Well I got my orders for the 1 Inf Regt. 24 Div but no orders for what company as yet. I may find out today. None of the NCOs know what company they are going to. It may come down today. They say I will most likely stay right here in this company. Don’t write me anymore at my old address , use the address I have on the envelope. The 5RCT is leaving tomorrow to process here in Pusan and will probably leave in a few days. The mail will probably be messed up for awhile. At least until I find out what company I am going to for sure. If you go ahead and mail the letters to Co G, 19 Inf Regt, 24 Dvi Apo 24% PM SF Calif they will send it on to me and it wont take to long. When I find out what compay you can change that part of it. The 19 Regt will move ito our company tomorrow. The ROKs left last week and a bunch of PFC are leaving tomorrow for the 8th Army Hqs. Don’t know what they will do. Most of the other guys are going to George Co of the 19th Regt. All I know is that I am going to the 19th Regt. Hope to stay right here so I wont have to move.

Glad Snapper has his same teacher this year. (note: I had Mrs Dodd for the 1st and 2nd grade.) Hope he gets to feeling better. Seems like he doesn’t feel well quite often.

You said something about troops that are send back being sent some place else. They probably will but the reason they wanted guys with 6 months is so they could help train the men and get more time out of them rather than some one like me.

The days a fairly worm but not lie they were. I bet Larry’s car is really pretty. Tell him to take care of it and not burn it up all at once. Dad said something about the Koreas being beat up at some time. The Japs were ruling the Koreas for 40 years before World War II. They use to beat, kill, and treat them pretty rough. That is about all they know. When you catch one stealing he expect to be beat up. The MP knock them around quite a bit when you take them in. I have watched quite a few. The young ones are worse about wsing off than the older ones. I watched on MP Desk Sgt (GI) knock one clown across the room one day because he insulted me.

Well I got a feeling I wont get quite as good a deal as I had when the 24 moves in. I’ll let you know. Will write again.

Love, Ted

Monday Sept 20, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I am in the 19th Inf Regt, Co G 24 Div. They moved in yesterday morning and I think it will be OK for awhile anyway. I to to keep the same job as Section Leader. We have a good Platoon Leader. I think we will get along OK. It sure had been a mess getting guys moved around where they belong. Haven’t had any mail lately. It will probably start coming slow now. As far as I know we will do nothing for about 2 weeks and them pull guard for 3 weeks and go to the field and train. That should be my last time in the field before I go home. I hope so any way. I think I might even make SFC before I rotate if everything goes OK before I rotate. They do thing a little bit different around here than in the 5 RCT not much different but a little. The NCOs run the company 99%. I didn’t have to move anything when I moved it. They moved in around me. Tell Mrs Underwood and Betty that I am in the 24 Div now. If I am ever close to the 34 Regt I will look Don up. Right now I thing the 34 Regt is till up north. We have a lot of me in the company. A lot of them rotate before long though. Quite a few in the next 30 or 40 days. I think there is over 240 men here now.

I scrounged up 8 pairs of fatigues now and I can change every day. Took me a long time to get that many but that’s what I have. Well not much new to write about today. If you know anyone who you thing will write you had better tell them my new address. You might tell Jim if you write him.

Lots of Love. Ted

Tuesday Sept 21, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Not much new to write about. Not anything doing today but I thought I would write a short letter anyway.

We just worked around the area today. We had PT this morning and I am a little sore. I got two letters from you. Sept 13. Guess everything is going OK. I am sory I forgot your anniversary. Time sure goes fast any more. 28 years is a long time.

I got a few pictures I am sending you. They were taken this last week. I guess you have heard that the 3rd Div is moving out of Korea. They start next month. I all so heard that we are going on the field about the 1st of Nov for 3 weeks. Hope we don’t but if we do I should be on my way home soon after we come back. Well not much more to write about. I will write again later.

Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment