Wednesday, December 7, 2011

May 31, 1954

May 31, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Last night after I wrote you a letter I had another letter from you tell about you getting another check from Snapper.  Glad you got it OK.  You should ge another one for 50 rom me.  I think I made it out to Dad.

Today we haven’t done anything all day.  We did get paid today and for some reason I drew $208.  I get 150 of it in soldiers deposit which make 700 now.  I looked on the board of deposits and before today I was third man highest as far as deposits.  One other boy who came the same time I did to Korea had 150 more dollars than I did.  Sgt Josephus has over $3000 in that he ahs saved the 5 years he has been in the army.  I don’t know why I drew 208 this month and I don’t know whether they held out 50 dollars this month or not.  Let me know when you get that check.

I had a couple of letters from you tonight.  I guess you have been getting my mail rather slow.  I haven’t been writing as much as I did up north.  There isn’t much to write about down here so I don’t write.  It is about the same old thing day after day.  All the squad leaders and Sgt have their own table to eat at now.  Guess they thought the leaders were to friendly with the men.  I haven’t had any more packages yet. (the spice cake you spoke about)  Next time you send a package send it to Sgt Wood my section leader.  He was talking one day about having my mother send hi a package.  He was kidding of course.  So I thought it may be you would.  His address is his name and serial number is US53139486 and his name is Sgt William Wood.  All the cookies go to the same place anyway. 

Guess everything is going the same at home. 

So Leonard Koski is going to be a foreman.  He is the one who used to sit with us at the table and laugh at us all the time isn’t he?  Guess maybe if I was still working there and knew what I know now I might have made instructor or something. 

It has been a nice day today.  Guess we start out the week as usual tomorrow.  We are guard tomorrow again and are also going to honor guard for the company, that takes place tomorrow.  We will represent the US Army (4 platoon). Some ROK soldiers will get a bronze star for something.  Not in this company but another unit.

 Today at another company a Sgt and two other guys were playing cards.  The Sgt got mad and loaded a automatic carbine and  emptied it on the other two guys.  They died.  They brought them to the medical station here in our company.  The Sgt had 12 yeas in the army.  You might read about it in the paper.  I guess it will go hard on the Sgt who shot them (note: you think?)

Well I don’t know much more to write about so I will close.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment