Tuesday, November 29, 2011

May 25, 1954



May 25, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had a letter today, May 15.  Not much new here.  I just finished another day of guard on the gate.  You remember that I told you in one of my letters that we used Military Script in place of green backs.  Well the Koreans have been getting hold of that money since the US troops have been over here and buy goods etc on the black market.  They also send it to Russia and Germany and all that money is used against us.  Well today we turned all of our script in and changed it for a different kind.  All the other is no good ow and the Black Marketeers and Reds are stuck with millions of dollars that are no good now.  It was a top secret move and happened all at once.  People down town were trying to change it and give it away.  One Korean through $400 over the fence to a guy.  He turned it in and the captain said he was going to try to put it in to the company funds some way.  I wish I could have got to town some way and got hold of some money before I changed it.  That really hurt the reds.  Let me know if you read about it in the paper. 

To bad Larry didn't graduate from school this year. (note: that was Dad's cousin.  He went to Northeast where Dad had gone and I ended up teaching for awhile after I returned from Alaska.)

Well not much more to write about.  I'll write again soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment