Saturday, November 5, 2011

May 14, 1954



May 14, 1954

Dear Snapper

I want to write you a letter so you will have it for your birthday.  Happy Birthday.  I am thinking about you and I miss you a lot.  I am sending you two dollars to spend on anything you want.  Also a picture of me at the gate while I am working.  Mom said you were doing very good in school and you liked your teacher. (note:  I think I was in the first grade and had Mrs. Dodd.  Her son went to Westpoint and she lived to be over 100.  I had her for the second grade also.)

I haven't done much of anything besides guard and go to the show once in awhile.  Tonight we scrubbed the floor and cleaned our hut up for inspection tomorrow.  We are going to have a field inspection.   We have been cleaning up our gear. 

I saw a couple of good shows lately.  Bowling Wild and Vickie.  They were good pictures.  My boots are sure looking good.  I have them shining good now.  The our the color of red wine. 

I had three letters tonight May 5-6-7.  That was sure something about Carlin Talcutt getting out of the army (note: ?.)  It is a bad thing that it happened thought.  He should have stayed in the army till his 24 month.  I bet it put a lot of people on the spot.  We had a new guy in our co to write the IX Corp Commander, General McGruder, that he needed a pair of boots.  He put Capt Book on the spot.  The guy is a pvt and will stay one till Capt Book leaves anyway.  I am certain now that the 5 RCT is leaving Korea about July 17.  I don't know who is going with them but I'll find out something more about it in another month of so.
Well I'll write you again soon.
Happy Birthday and Lots of Loved,  Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment