Tuesday, November 8, 2011

May 18, 1954

Tuesday  May 18, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had 3 letters tonight.  May 5.10, 11.  I sure glad to get them as it had been a few days since I had had any mail.  There isn't anything new at this end.  The rank drops hasn't come in this month yet.  I have given up the idea of making Sgt this month anyway.  Maybe next month.  Even though Capt Book put me in for it I think Regt Hdqs will turn it down because I haven't had enough time in grade as cpl.  The other two cpls that were put in had been cpls for quite sometime.   The company clerk ask me if I wanted to go on R&R today.  My name came up.  I turned it down for awhile.  I want to have a little more money before I go.  I only have 110 dollars with the money order you sent.

I bet the leaves look nice in front of the house.  It will seem funny not to see the hedge anymore.  I haven't made up my mind what I want to do when I get out of the army.  I can't quite see myself working for some reason.  Seems like I have always been in the army.  I like the army and being an NCO but I think about joining for 3 or 6 more years I can't see it for some reason.  I was wondering if Bob Newland was working at Westinghouse yet.  Tell him hello next time you see him.

It was funny to hear about Don Hotson being a detective.  I bet he is a case at it.  (note: the Hotsons were sort of like our version of the first dysfunctional family anyone new of on the block. Don was the older brother.  I knew his younger brother Melvin and the twins -girl and boy- but I have forgotten there names.)

I heard that the rank drop came down tonight.  Guess I didn't make it this time.  Maybe next month.  Well don't know much new .  There isn't ay show tonight because the film didn't come in.
Well, lots of love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment