Thursday, February 9, 2012

July 6, 1954

July 6, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well it has been several days since I have written a letter.  I mailed one from Japan and I had to wait till I went back to Camp Hakatu to mail it.  I enjoyed my trip to Japan.  Not much to tell about it.  It cost me enough money there.  I saw some good show while I was there.  “How to Marry a Millionaire” – The “French Line,” “Pony Express,” “Red Garters,” and “It Should Happen to You.”  I took some color pictures.  I didn’t buy anything in Japan except a lighter for Dad which I am going to mail in a letter later on.  I looked at China and had planned to buy some.  They wanted quite a bit in town for China.  There it would have been about 100 for a 93 piece set.  I can order it here in Korea for less and get a better pattern.  I’ll look at the PX next time I am down there. 

I had several letters when I got back fro about the 18 to 28.  I enjoyed reading them.  Glad Jan is doing OK at the Dairy Queen. (note: Mom and sister’s sister-in-law worked at a Dairy Queen that summer for extra money.  It was sort of a lease situation.  The other lady ran off with the money at the end of the summer and didn’t leave Mom anything.)  I haven’t heard from Jim any more and have been wondering what he is doing now.  Glad Snapper is swimming good.  He stared plenty young.

I have quite a few pictures that I took in Japan.  I’ll send them a few at a time.  I also have some color pictures I took but I haven’t finished the roll.  When I do I will send them.  I have a registered letter I haven’t picked up yet.  I will before long.  I have a pair of Sgt stripes for Snapper too.  I’ll send them soon.  I don’t know if we will be going back out in the field again soon or not.  I wont mind if we do.  I have an idea that the 5 will leave Korea this month or in the month of August.  The rumors are pretty strong.  Better not wait on your vacation though.  Better take it now as I might not be coming with the outfit.  They might move to most anyplace. 

What has Keith said about the army.  What is his rank.  It must have cost a lot of money to come home.  When I was in Japan I saw the overseas telephone and I thought about calling home but it would have cost a fortune and I couldn’t have talked very long.

Guess it has been plenty warm in KC.  The weather here you asked about is all messed up.  It’s worse than Calif.  It rained wall 7 days I was in Japan except for a couple of afternoons.  I rains here all most every day.  It isn’t to hot and the night are cool.  Mosquitoes are bad.  We haven’t go or nets yet. 

I got a kick out of you getting rid of the rug.  That was an easy way to do it.  I do things like that just for the laugh I give myself. (note: My Grandfather rolled up the rug and put it in front of the house with a for sale sign on it and then ended up giving it away to a couple of kids who were walking home from school.)

That extra pay I wrote about was for the 5 years navy reserve I have.  You get more for each year you have in.  I haven’t  heard anything yet.  I haven’t done anything about the application for the Helicopter School.  I have to take a test and have’t been around long enough to do it yet.  If I don’t make it I wont stay in most likely.  I saw that picture “Elephant Walk” you wrote about.  The Photostats you sent were the right ones. 

Well I don’t know much more to say now.  I weighed myself in Japan, 178 lbs.  I didn’t think I was that heavy.  Well I’ll write again tomorrow.
Love, Ted.

No comments:

Post a Comment