Saturday, February 4, 2012

June 29, 1954




June 29, 1954


(note: this letter was written on stationery from the Daiich Hotel in Fukuroka, Japan.  The address was 528, 9 Bancho, Haruyoshi-machi, Fukuyoka Japan.  Tel Eukuoka, 2-2638, 2639,2630.  The above picture is a modern one but the same hotel.)


Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I am on the R&R now.  Having a good time so far.  We left Pusan Sat eve and came across to Hakata port.  We were on a LST.  It only carried 150 of us and it was sure rocking.  It was raining and the sea was a little rough.  It all most rolled me out of be a couple of times.  When we got to cam Hakata we processed and they turned us looses about Sunday afternoon and then we came into Fukuoka and got a  hotel room.  There are 5 of us from the company.

Daiich (Die – E – Chee) means Number one which is an ex prison used by GI’s in the Far East to say they like something and if they don’t like something they say number 10.  The hotel is like a state side in a way  Room service and it is modeled like a state side hotel.  The street in front is about 10 feet wide and smaller than our alleys down town.  There is a GI club close by and that is where we have gone the past few night.  It’s cheaper than the clubs down town.  They have a band, girls and the drinks are on 15 to  20 cents a piece.  Last night they had bingo 500 dollars jack pot.  I didn’t win anything but I enjoyed playing.  Yesterday I looked around town and went to a Japanese show and saw the French Line.


 It sure was a good show.  The theater was nice and modern like our shows down town.  I think I will look around today for some China etc.  I will have to take it to Camp Hakata to mail it.  The camp is about 20 miles from here.  I have till Monday morning July 5 before I have to go back.  It has been raining every since I left.  Hope it stoops so I can take some pictures.  What do you hear from everyone.  I haven’t heard any fro Jim for quite a while.  The rumors are strong about ht e 5 RCT moving out of Korea  the 27 of July. Hope there is something to it.  May be Japan, Hawaii, or Camp Carson.  The other outfits may be leaving too this year.  I hope they do. 

Well I don’t have much more to say so I will close .. I have a few pictures to send you that I took in Mason.  Will write soon.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment