Wednesday, February 15, 2012

July 11, 1954

Sun July 11, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well not much doing today.  Have taken it easy today (or this morning.)  Yesterday we had inspection and yesterday afternoon I went over to see Arkie.  He called and said he was going home this next Thursday the 15 of July.  He came after me and brought me back in a jeep last night.  Had a good time with him.  They had a dance etc.  He had a couple of steaks and French fries for dinner.  I should be on my way home in about 3 months after he gets home.  I don’t know if I will see him anymore or not before he goes home. 

Friday our company went out to the beech and had a party.  I swam in the ocean and it sure was nice.  The waves were the biggest I have ever seen.  Way over our heads and we had our air mattresses with  us and rode the waves in like a surf board.  We had fried chicken, potato salad, cold cuts and buns beer and coke.  Sure had a good time.  Hope we can go out there later on.

To bad about McLaughlin breaking his back.

About the classes I wrote about given in the field was on the 57 recoilless rifle.  I gave 4 hours altogether.  They were (note: could not read the next word.)  I was teaching the 57 RR etc.  I gave a class on the Range Estimation too.  Most all of it was talking. 

Well I don’t have much more to write about.  I will write you later.
Love, Ted

PS:  I still have the same job.  I was going to take over the 57 section when Sgt Wood left but we got another Sgt First Class who moved in the platoon so I guess he will take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment