Sunday, January 1, 2012

June 13, 1954

Sunday June 13, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had 4 letters from you yesterday and a box of candy and the cookies today.  They sure were god.  I liked them.  The letters were dated June 2-5-6 and 6.  I guess the storm has slowed up the mail quite a bit. 

Not much new here.  We have been working on our new area.  Last night I went to the show and saw "Martin Luther."  I sat through about 30 minutes and got up and left.  I didn't like it to good. 

Today I have just been laying around reading and resting.  Tuesday we move out in the field we will just be gone about 10 days.  They changed it quite a bit, before it's over we will probably stay about 3 or 4  days.  I might not get a chance to write much out there. but will try to. 

I remember the Ragan Exterminators.  It was owned by a man and a women.  He has only one arm and drinks a lot.  His wife ran the company.  I guess he is still living.  (note: Ragan Exterminators were still in business when I was a property manager.)  I read the article about the Korean children being in KC.  Hope they didn't get any money.  They try to make money out of the GI.  The civilian working around this camp are stealing everything, black market money and the dope is bad.  Have you read anything about dope in Pusan area.  It's a and he had been on dope for 90 days and when he moved here he had a hard time getting any so he cracked up.  He had been in trouble before.  He was only a PFC.  The other two were just kids. I don't know whether you know it or not but they have people planted in the companies to put the finger on people like that.  No one ever knows about it.  They have the most trouble around Pusan or after pay day.  They try to get a hold of the GI dollar anyway they can.  They killed a couple of GIs here this last payday with rotgut whiskey and dope.  They cut holes in the fences and aid the GIs to get out.  These women come around the fence and try to talk them to come out.  There are a lot of communists still around here as they turned a lot of N. Korean PW loose here.  I think they are sorry now about the way things are going.  They practically give the whiskey away.  One bottle will almost kill you or make you go blind.  Some guys don't have any will power or something.

Well it is raining now.  If it stops I think I will go to the show and see "The Saints Girl Friday."

 Glad you got the $77.10 for Snapper.  Do you figure you get it all now.  You get 51.30 and 25.80 in May and 77.10 in June.  That makes it for 2 months.  I made Cpl March 1 and signed allotment papers in or about April 1.  The 208 I got this month might have been part of that plus my back pay. 

Well don't know much more so I will close for now.  Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment