Tuesday, January 31, 2012

June 23, 1954


Wed June 23, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well not much new to write about.  We finished our classes today with the 57 recoilless rifle and tomorrow we are going to have a test on things we have covered.  Today I gave a class on Range Estimation.  How to guess ranges, methods used etc.  It went over pretty good.  I a m getting so I can give a pretty good class now.  The Co. Clerk asked me last night if I wanted to go on R&R to Kakaton or something like that.  I said OK so I leave the 26.  Hope I am there for the 4th of July.  I am going to send some things home when I go. 

It’s been windy and cold the last few days with a little rain but it doesn’t bother me to bad.  I sleep worm at night.

I haven’t had anymore mail since I got the card from you for Father’s Day.  The mail hasn’t come in for today yet.  Will probably get a letter when it does.  It might wait till I see before I finish this letter. 

That is quite a flare up in South America isn’t it. (note: There was a coup de ta in Guatemala around this time.)  Hope it wont amount to much.  I read in Stars and Stripe also about Harry Truman going to the hospital for an operation. (note:  Truman suffered a gallbladder attack while attending the Starlight Theater.)

Well I am beginning to feel like an old Sgt now.  I walk around with a clip board with my motor and a Sgt Stick.  That is just a name we have for it.  It’s a stick or something we cut from a tree and whittle on while some one is giving a class and also use it for a pointer. 

I just got a letter June 14.  So Keith came home on a 30 day leave.  How is he doing.  Has he made any rank yet.  I guess he feels good to be back home.  He has only been gone a years.  I remember I was home about a years ago today or starting home.  Wish I was coming home soon but it wont be for awhile yet.  The time sure goes fast.  This month is about gone now and another one to start.  Well I don’t have much more to write about for now so I will close .  Will try to write before I go on R&R if not I’ll write you in Japan.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment