Thursday, July 7, 2011

January 13, 1954

Wed Jan 13, 1954 

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

No mail yet today.  Wed didn’t do anything all day today.  We had a class this afternoon on the M1 and an inspection at .  That’s about it.

The new boy seems like a nice guy.  He is 23 and has spent 4 years in college – zoology.  He is a Greek and is married.  He went to the CBR School at Eta Jima and said there were 26 other schools there.  He also said that it use to be a Japanese Naval Academy and you live like kings there.  No details or guard and the food is excellent.  There is a town outside of the camp.  He went to Hiroshima one time on a pass.  He also had two silk scarves he bought.  They were Georgett silk, real fine and you could see through it.  One was black; the other was a bright red.  They both had hand painted scenery on them.  He said there were all different kinds.  I think one of the things you said you wanted was a scarf, China, linens, pearls.  Send me a list of everything you want and the description on a separate sheet of paper and when I get it I will put it in my billfold.  I might not be any place to get everything you want but I will when I go on R&R.  He said the pearls were $15 and up.  They call them cultured pearls. 

The island is called Kure, that is where Eta Jima is, it is very small.  There are two islands together between two main islands in a bay.  Look on the map you have.  I will tell you about the trip as I go along of course.

I also saw another map of Korea.  Look on your map of Korea and see if there is a town called Chorwon and a town called Kumhwa.  We are located in the area between those two towns and a little south.  I think this area here is the farthest north the US is and the area is called Chip o Ri and Chorwon Valley.  Either one.  (note: Dad was still not sure exactly where he was in Korea, or at least not enough to plot on a map.  Sounds strange, but I guess it is true.)

Eta Jima is close to Hiroshima where they dropped the A-bomb. 

Have you ever heard the record “China Night?”  They sure play that a lot over here.  It is all Jap music though.  I am going to send some of those records home if I can.  They put them on 45. (note: it was a Rumba of some sort.)  I think there is a popular record company called Min is si.  That means I Am Sorry.  I know you hve heard that before.  Only it is English.  I got a box today from McDonald.  It was a box full of Stover’s Candy, 2 libs.  It sure is good. 

I wrote JQ, Evelyn and Jim, Edith and Quinton (note: cousin, aunts and uncles) today and thanked them for the box they sent and sent them a picture of me at school.

Alino Simonie the Italian friend of mine who I gave the cross word book to wrote Marilyn (note: the young neighbor) a letter today.  I read the letter.  It was a nice letter.  I wonder what her mother will think.  She must have wanted a letter because she had her address on the book.

I woter Marian a letter yesterday and sent a picture.  She wanted one of me in uniform.

 I haven’t heard any news about anyone moving out lately.  It will probably be about two more months before it happens and we may hear some news after the 22nd if things go OK. 

I have been looking for the letter with the money order in it. It should be here right away if you sent it soon as you heard.  I’ll be here till Sunday at least.

How are Jim and Rosalyn doing now?  I don’t ever hesitate about writing any thing in your letters because what you say is interesting and I like to know everything good or bad.  I don’t worry about anything over here.  Doesn’t do any good because there is nothing I can do about it 7000 miles away.

Well I have run out of something to write about.  I will write again soon.
Love, Ted

(Note:  it just occurred to me that Dad was the only one of the Cousins, thus nephews that was drafted or even served in the military.  None of the uncles served, and come to think of it my grandfather and I are the only ones who did serve other than Dad.  It was a big deal for the entire family.  That is one reason I think that his aunts and uncles kept in contact with them.  They undoubtedly worried about him because I remember the family back

No comments:

Post a Comment