Tuesday, June 20, 2017

March 16 - 19, 1953

16 March 1953

Dear Folks

Well I got two letters from you tonight.  Didn’t get any Saturday.  I was on KP Sunday from to .  Didn’t have to work long hours on Sunday.  We got to eat all we wanted.  I filled up.

I went to bed early last night.  About and went to bed Sat about , didn’t do much at all.  This morning we got up at , had breakfast and left for the range at and got there at .  I told you wrong the other day, tomorrow is our last day.  We fire for record then.  The M1 sure is a good rifle.  Kicks a lot, about like a 12 gage shot gun.  It’s a 30 cal repeater, the shells come from Lake City.  They are marked LC-52.  I think Jan made the 30 carbine, which is smaller.  We will have that in a couple of weeks.  A carbine is an automatic rifle more like a machine gun.  The 30 carbine rifle is smaller than an M1 too.  We got back early tonight, I also got a ride on the ammunition truck.  I helped load it.  Then I just got in the truck with the rest of the guys.  I was picked for the detail.  I just moved in and acted like I was supposed to be there.

My cold is going away fast.  I feel a lot better.  My feet hurt me occasionally but I guess that is natural.

I didn’t get to go to church tonight because the poster didn’t say what churches the chaplains were going to be in.  I was tired besides, didn’t feel like cleaning up.

Donald Underwood got back yesterday, he was gone 10 days.  I talked to him some tonight.  He is going to be transferred Thursday.  He will probably start his basic all over.

Is that Maxine the girl that worked days on Joe Dores line and did the book work?  What did they do to her?  I can’t remember anybody that worked nights and wore dark glasses.  I will be glad to see the union paper.

So I guess Richard has gone by now.  Guess he left this morning.  I don’t know if they will put him in the signal corps or not.  They usually put guys with A1 profile in the Infantry.  He might get it if he is lucky and they need anybody in that line.  He could get sent to a signal corps outfit not far from here.  Ft Orde, Calif. is about 100 miles away. 

Well I have to shave and clean my rifle and get to bed early. 

Did you ever get that money order that I sent you, you never did say.  Well I guess I will write a letter later in the week.  Tell everyone hello and all the guys at work.
Love, Ted
PS  Let me know how much money I have in the bank.

Tues.  March 17, 1953

Dear Mom and Dad

Well we just got back from the range today.  I fired 227 out of 250.  I think I made expert.  You have to make 220 for expert.  I haven’t heard anything yet.  I rode back in a truck tonight.

Today is the day we eat K rations.  We have them 2 times a month.  They give us a can with 3 round crackers, a cookie, powdered coffee, milk and sugar, and jelly.  The other can may be beans, hamburger and gravy or anything like that.  I went to the PX and got a sandwich and some milk later.  I can’t fill up on the other.

We had mail call tonight but I did not get any mail.  That is about the first time I missed on a week day.  Probably get some tomorrow night.

A guy had a nervous fit on the range today.  Took about 6 men to hold him down.  They finally tied him up with belts and took him away.  I heard an officer tell another that they put him in a padded cell.  He has had 2 or 3 fits before.

I fired this morning and got to coach in the afternoon.  Each fire man has a coach.  There is just one other guy that scored as high as I did that I know of yet.  He fired with me.  He is in my platoon.  We are going to have classes tomorrow and then Thursday and some more targets. 

Well not much more to say now.  Guess I will clean my rifle and shave and then get to bed.  I will write again tomorrow.
Love, Ted

Thursday.  March 19, 1953

Dear Mom and Dad

Well I had a little time so I thought I would write.  I got your letter about Jan.  That sure is something.  I don’t know exactly what I could do in the army as far as the law is concerned.  I don’t know where to go to talk to anyone.  I would have to do it at night or Sat afternoon.  May be you could write to the them and may be  they would call me or something.  A letter from home is more impressive.

We had classes on Wed and carried field pack, leaned how to put up our pup tents.  The pack sure is heavy.  My self and that other guy got the  highest score in the Btry  227 on the rifle.  We went out today and fired at silhouettes of people for practice and then tomorrow we go out and fire at moving targets like that from different places.  Roof tops, fox holes, logs, etc.  We will have 30 seconds to shoot and hit. 

It rained today most of the time.  We didn’t stop.  Put on our ponchos.  We got wet anyway.  We came back to the area and did physical training in the rain.  Hope I don’t get another cold.

The other morning we were going out across the parade ground sometime after .  There was a big burst of a bright light.  It cam from the east.  Everyone flinched a little bit but didn’t pay any attention to it.  It lit up just for a second, a real bright light.  Later we found out it was the atomic blast in Nevada.  They told us about it.  We didn’t hear an explosion or feel a concussion.

They are going to give out passes this weekend.  I don’t know whether I will get one or not.  I don’t care much. 

We have to learn our general orders.  I don’t’ them yet.  They give an article 15 for not knowing them.  You have to know them for guard duty and to get a pass.  I know a few of them.  I never was much good at memorizing anything.

I got a letter from C.S. worker.  He invited me to church on Mon night.

That sure is nice you have a new car.  I would like to see it.  Hope I can in April.  If you come out I don’t know how much I can see you at night.  I may be able to get a pass for the weekend that you are here and see you a little while at night.  What were you planning on driving and where all were you going?

We had some classes about different divisions in the army.  Was dad in the 1st Calvary Div.?  That is the only Calvary left.  They are a combat infantry team now.  No horses or anything.  It is an old out fit.

We will start our 4th week of training tomorrow.  It isn’t to bad.  It is rough enough and you keep busy all the time, never get caught up on anything.  I hope it doesn’t get to hot here in the spring.  It gets as hot as 115 and 120 in the summer. 

Let me know what Anthony Tarwater’s address is.  I will look him up when I find out.  He will have an address something like mine.  Is he the young Tarwater that worked for Charlie Cahple?  I got your papers, they were interesting.  Haven’t had much time to read them yet.

Well I guess I will close for now.  It is about time for the lights to go out.  Let me know the news and what Jan does.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment