Thursday, June 15, 2017

Korea Letters - March 2 to March 10, 1953

Monday March 2, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well how is everything?  I got your letters you mailed Fri and Sat and the news paper.  Did they ever put anything in there about me?
I never put oil in my car yet.  Might as well put 10 weight Pennzoil in it.  You might as well plan on letting it go in a month or two.  Did you make a payment on my car, income tax and insurance?  Let me know and let me know how much I have left.  Take out the 40 dollars I owe you for Snapper too. 
We had classes on different things this morning.  It wasn’t bad but this afternoon we double timed to the other end of the parade ground (one mile) for a map reading class.  It is sure hard for me because my feet hurt me quiet a bit.  I can hardly stand to walk on them.  I still have a cold I can’t seem to shake.  If you go on sick call you have to have to leave from the orderly room and then they might keep you at the hospital.  If you stay more than three nights they put you back a week in your basic training.  That makes it much longer before you can get home. 
I am to be barracks orderly tomorrow.  That will give me a chance to rest a little.  I cough at night so much I can't get any sleep. 
We are getting up at 4 A.M. and fall out at 4:15 and then go back and clean the barracks till we eat and then go back till 7:00 or later and then we start out classes.  Don’t get to bed before .
I might fall out on sick call Wed if I don’t feel better.
Thanks for the stamps.  I am sending you four special del stamps back, how about some more air mail and 3 cent stamps?
Well it is about .  I have to close for now and try to get my boots shined and shave.
All my love,  Ted

Tues March 3, 1953

Dear Folks

Just have time for a short letter.  How is everything?  So you had quite a snow in K.C.?  Weather here is good.  Cold at night hot in the day time. 
I got your package.  Thanks a lot.  I can use the cigs and gum too.  I might not use the soles if I get refit on my boots.  I have two pair in the ones I wear to work in.  My feet are about the same.  I didn’t sleep last night because I coughed so much.  We got up at   I stayed in to be barracks orderly today, got to rest my feet but had to clean up around here all day, had to stay busy.  I may fall out in the morning on sick call if I don’t feel better.  I hate to do it.
They had classes today on how to pack your field pack and equipment.  I have to find out from the boys.  Keith got a pair of barber clippers from home today.  I let some of the boys cut my hair.  Looks fare for the army.
I got a letter form Carl Huff.  I am going to write him when I get more time. 
Well write me and give me the news.  Don’t send me any of the pictures I send home, want to keep them there.
I heard that Archie is home on leave but will be going to Korea.  Have you seen him?
Well I will write again tomorrow or sometime.
Love, Ted

Saturday Afternoon March 7, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I guess you wonder what happened to me.  I have been so busy I haven’t had a chance to write at all.  I have been getting your letters, OK. 
I guess it really snowed in K.C.  It has all most been hot here.  Nights are still cool.
We have been getting up a every morning.  This morning we got up at   We clean our barracks and then go to classes.  We don’t get to bed before .  Last night it was , we had so much to do. 
I haven’t been sleeping very good because I cough a lot.  I wake up all the time.  I can hardly talk.  About all I can do is whisper.  I was barracks orderly for one day and fell out for sick call on Thursday.  I went to the medic and tried to get something for my cold.  All they gave me was a small bottle of cough syrup.  I told them about my feet. They said they couldn’t do anything for me.  They did give a slip for new boots.  So I can go to the quartermaster and get all my clothes changed that don’t fit.  My Ike Jackets didn’t fit and they did not have any so I am going to have the ones I have altered.  My boots are 8 ½ EE.  Still feel wide and big, but 81/2 D was too tight.  My feet have straightened out quiet a bit.  Still bother me a little.  My cold is the worse thing. 
We had classes yesterday on the M1 rifle all day.  We got restricted this afternoon about .  I am too tired to go anywhere anyway.  Only slept about 2 hrs.  A fellow is going to the post office here.  I am going to send this letter with him, may be you will get it sooner.  Will write tomorrow.
Love, Ted

Sunday March 8, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I got up this morning about and ate breakfast.  I went to the PX yesterday and drank a beer.  Didn’t taste too good because I was so tired.  Keith and I started back and stopped at a tree way out in a field.  We lay under it and took nap.  It was the first time we had been alone sincse I had been in the army.  We came back had dinner and then went to the barracks.  I lay down and slept.  We were off restriction but I didn’t go any place.  I slept till about 10 and then I went to bed.  I still don’t sleep good because I cough.
This morning I have been sewing patches on my clothes.  I don’t think I can get them on neat.  I am just going to put them on a few and then let the cleaners do the rest.
I have so much to do I don’t know where to start.  Line my clothes in my locker, sew patches, dye a pair of boots, shine my mess kit, etc.  I sure wish I was close to home so I could see you once in a while.  It wouldn’t be so bad then.
I heard this morning that Donald Underwood went home.  I guess he is already home now.  I had not seen him for a day or two but didn’t think anything about it.  His father in law died.  When he gets back he will be put in another out fit.  Probably start his basic over. 
I bought 2 shirts and 2 pants, they cost $10.  I can send part of them to the laundry now.  I can wash my white things. 
I feel a little better except for my cold.  I read the Sentinel once in a while.  Have the bible the Chaplain gave us but I haven’t read it.  Christian Science services are on Monday nights.  One week they are at one end of the camp and the next week at the other.  I am going if I can get away.  I keep the little slips you send me in my billfold and read them every time I get a chance.
They paid me the allotment for Snapper.  It was a little less than a month, next month they will mail a check.  It should be for $51.30 I think.  You won’t get it for about a week or two after the first of April.  It is made out to Jan but I should be mailed at your address.  They will come regular after the first one.  They always give the first check to me, after that I won’t see them again. (I have it already) 
Glad to hear you are saving your money for a trip to Calif.  When do you think you are going to come out?  Better let me know a while a head of time.  Don’t plan to come out now.
Thanks for the air mail stamps.  I mail them air mail.  I mailed one yesterday from the Post Office.  You should get it sooner. 
Don’t know what I will do today.  Work mostly on my clothes and rest.  Will write again the first chance I get.
I forgot to tell you I slipped off with our corporal and Keith and went to the show Thursday night.  We got out of work.  We had to pay his way and buy him cokes.  The picture was good.  Bob Hope and Mickey Rooney played in it., they were MP’s.  I forgot the name of it.  We saw it once and wanted to go, the corporal wanted to stay and see it again.  We slept through it the second time.
Love,  Ted

March 10, 1953

Dear Dad

Just received your letter.  Didn’t get here any faster than regular air mail, don’t know why.  I have been busy and can’t find much time to write.
Our barracks hasn’t been clean enough (the whole Btry) to satisfy out 1st Sergeant.  So we get up at now instead of   I don’t get much sleep coughing and everything.  I am dead tired at night.  I was bad last night and went on sick call this morning.  They gave me more cough syrup, aspirin, and gargle stuff and sent me back.
Margie wanted me to call her last night but I couldn’t have talked to her.  I haven’t written her either.  I wish you would tell her they are really pouring it on us now.  Our CO is tired of everyone having colds so he is sending us to bed at .  He gave everyone sulphur tablets too.  My feet are in good shape now.  I double time 1 ½  miles and they hold up.  I get a little short wended because of my cold.  Basic is just about what you said.
Well I just have a little while till I have to be in bed.  I will try and write you more when I get time. 
We have been having classes on our M1 rifle (loading and aiming etc.)  We will be on the firing range starting Thursday for a whole week. 
Call Margie and tell her why I haven’t written more.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment