Friday, June 16, 2017

Korea Letter March 14, 1853

Saturday.  March 14, 1953

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How is everything at home?  I got off about 1200 today.  I went to the PX this afternoon and bought some things.  This morn we double timed across the Parade Grounds at an angle and had a class.  Then we came back the same way.  We changed into our class A uniform and helmet liners and marched out on the parade ground to see a parade.  There must have been 50,000 marching.  Sure was a sight to see.  They were taking moving pictures and there were some generals here.  Don’t know what it was about.  They decorated some one for something.  We just watched.

I went out on the firing line yesterday and the day before and shot.  Worked a ½ day in the target pits and the rest of the day firing.  We go out Monday and fire for record and our qualifying as an expert, sharpshooter, or marksman.  I am going to try for expert.  It is interesting out there to see how everything works.  Everything is done just first class and neat. 

We get up about and march out about 4 miles over the hills etc.  We leave camp about , we get back to camp about   We eat our meal on the range.  Taste good out there like that.

My face and hands are getting tan from the sun and wind.  Everyone is that way.  I weighed today and am 162.  I am just about over my cold.  Still have it a little.

I have to go on KP in the morning, Sunday.  I hate to because I was going to catch up on some sleep and writing.  I got a letter from Daisy and 12 3 cent stamps.  I will try to write her a letter when I can.

Our squad and 3rd squad changed floors with the 1st and 2nd squads today.  I am upstairs and have a single bunk.  I like it upstairs but it is wormer in the day time.

I took my shirts and one Ike Jacket to the cleaners the other day.  I am going to have my Ike Jacket worked on so it will fit me better.  I had a 38S at first but it was to little so I traded with a guy who had a 40R.  It was better but still too big.  If they do a good job I will send my other one.

How is Snapper?  I would like to call you sometimes.  I thought about a week from tomorrow.  I should be able to talk then.  I got a call last night, I guess it was Margie.  I didn’t take the call because I couldn’t talk good enough and besides it was from the orderly room.

Some nights when we get in late they won’t let us go any place.  Fri night is hard to get away also because that is when the army has their GI parties all over the country.  They always have inspections the next morning. 

I haven’t done anything out of the ordinary.  I had another shot for something the other day.  I went on sick call again one day.  Didn’t do me any good.  They just gave me some aspirin and cough syrup.  I have slept good for the last two nights so I feel better.

I have some pictures in the PX being developed, will send them when I can.  I hope you come out to Calif on your vacation.  I guess I could see your part of the time Sat and Sunday.  There sure isn’t much here, just barracks all around a parade ground a mile long on both sides and at both ends and around the barracks there are mountains and hills.  Some what like the mountains in Arkansas. 

I am on my third week of basic now as of yesterday.  Not sure what we will do next week after we spend Monday and Tuesday on the range.  Will try and let you know.

There is a boy from Oklahoma who bunks on my right and a couple of farmers who bunk on my left in a double bunk, just thought I would tell you.  Well that about all I can think of now, oh by the way I haven’t seen any C.S. workers yet.  They may have come here before we got back at night or something.  I doubt if I can go to church Monday night either, won’t get back from the range till and church is .  I am going the first chance I get though.  I didn’t know C.S. had medals for dog tags.  The card was interesting to read..

Well I sent my clothes to laundry the other day.  Sent 25 pieces for a dollar, not to bad.  Saved me a lot of time and they get pressed too..  I have two extra pairs of dungarees and bought a pair of socks today.  I have needed more of them.  The wool one we wear with our boots cost 55 cents at the PX.  I seat a lot and all over smell rotten and dirty.  Everyone else don’t get to take a shower but once or twice a week.  Too tired and don’t have time.  If it gets hotter here we will have to.  Do you think you could send me a small box of cookies and candy that would keep.  Well not much more.
Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment