Friday, April 13, 2012

letters Dated november 20 to the 23rd, 1954

Sat Nov 20, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Just a few lines this morning to let you know everything is OK and going about the same.  I go on guard in a little while.  I got a few pictures that were taken just before we went to the field.  They are two pictures of me with Kim and Jimmy.  Kim is the biggest boy.  Jimmy the littlest one and the one that go the clothes.  We are having an inspection today and we had to get up early to get ready.  The inspection starts after I go on guard.  I had a letter yesterday.  I ordered two music boxes the day before yesterday.  Hope you get them before Xmas.  I might mail one more air mail.. It takes quite awhile after you order them before they get sent.  You could give one you have away but I don’t know whether you will get the same tune or not.  Each box has a different tune.  Well I don’t know much more to write about so I will close.  I’ll write you later.
Love, Ted


Nov 21, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Another Sunday today and nothing much new to write about.  I haven’t had any more mail for a couple of days but should get some today.  It’s a nice day today and the sun is shinning and the sky is blue but it’s a little cool.  The fire feels good.  Seems like this winter just came all at once without any notice.  I go on guard tonight at till .  Guard is not so good any more because we are pulling with Fox Company and they are not so good at it.   We don’t catch any slicky boys when they are on.  One of my pier Sgts hit a Korean for stealing canned meat and broke his nose and they had to take him to the hospital.. I had to see a major the Korean worked for and he was pretty soar about it.  I made a report on it and our Rgt Commander, Col Donaldson when down and talked to this major and he set the major straight.  That’s one thing the Co will do is back you up if you have something like that happen or guard.  Well no more news about rotation.  They are up to Dec 10 now and the next couple of drops should get me.  You better not look for me to be home by Xmas now.  I thought for awhile I would make it but I don’t think I can now.  It wont be long after that before I am home.  Wish I could fly back.  That would be about the only way I could make it unless I leave in the next week or so.  Well I’ll write you a line later on, might get a letter today yet. ---Haven’t got a letter yet but have some pictures I took in the field and of the Carnival they had a couple of months ago.
Love, Ted


Nov 22, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

How are things back home.  From the letters I got today everything seemed to be normal.  I got the Thanksgiving card today.  Sure was nice of you and I had about forgot about Thanksgiving.  Even now I don’t know what day it is.  Haven’t done much today.  With the house boy to make my bed, shine my boots, wash my clothes, pistol belts etc I don’t have much to do.  Our new 1st Sgt took over today, the one I wrote about.  The colored Sgt, M/Sgt Reed.  I think he will be OK.  He has 17 years in the army and has been a 1st Sgt for quite sometime in the companies.  He is a lot like Sgt Oliver in the 5 RCT.  You can sue tell the old timers when you seen them or hear them talk.  Hope the new job goes OK.  I sure was surprised to hear you changed jobs.  You will probably like it a lot better.  Nothing new to write about at this end.  I go on guard at tonight.  It’s a funny thin but there is a SFC who relieve me from Fox Company who only has 6 months to go was a Captain and a Company Commander in the 34 Rgt.  He was reduced to Master Sgt because they had to many reserve Captains.  After he was a Master Sgt he was busted to SFC and that same ay he made major in the reserve.  Sure is funny.  He doesn’t’ know much it didn’t look like to me.  I think he drinks a lot from the way he looks.  Well we have an inspection in 20 minutes so I thing I will get my platoon out and give them a going over.  So I’ll write again soon.
Love, Ted


Nov 23, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Thought I would write you a short line and let you know all is well.  You may have noticed on the letter I mailed yesterday (on the envelope) I had SFC on it.  Right after I sealed the envelope I was told about making it.  I sure was surprised as I didn’t even know I went in for it and didn’t figure on it.  One other Sgt made SFC.  He had been in the army for 9 years or so and had been a Sgt for several years.  He was or is a mess Sgt.  A year ago I would never have believed I would make SFC before I went home because I wasn’t even a PFC yet.  I made PFC Nov 26, 53, Cpl Mar 1, 54, and Sgt June 17, 54 and Sgt First Class Nov 22, 54 (just for the record)  Next step will be Master Sgt but wont get that.  No one ever gets that in even 3 or 4 years and I figure I was plenty luck to make SFC in less than two years.  Don’t see that much any more.  I have only seen 2 or 3 make it since I have been in Co G of the 5 RCT and the 19th Rgt.  Well all ready they figured what money I get for a re-enlistment, $1480.00.  Right now I am making $175.81 base pay and 20.00 over seas pay and then the 77.10 for Snapper and that make a total of 272.91 a month plus my clothes and meals, medical insurance etc.  Sure make me think a lot about staying in as that is hard to beat on the outside.  If it wasn’t so far being form home I wouldn’t think twice about it.  When I collect my reserve time I will be drawing a base pay of 191.10 plus.  Well I haven’t had any mail today.  The weather is nice but cool at night.  I can’t think much to write about so think I will close off.  No more new about rotating.  Shouldn’t be much longer anyway.  I’ll write you again soon.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment