Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Letters Dated October 27 to the 31, 1954

27 Oct 54

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had two letters from you yesterday, Oct 19 and 20.  Had one from Jim Rountree and one from Marian.  They didn’t have much to say.  I am glad you got you china and the picture Album and jewel box.  What is the tune on the jewel box.  The one I looked at was the Korean National Anthem, some of them have China Night.  That’s the one I wanted to get.  Better not look for me to go home in Nov.  There is a good chance but you know how things go in the army.  Don’t count on it.  I should be home by Xmas thought.  Most likely I will leave about the 1st of Dec or so. 

To bad KC didn’t get in the big league.  That would sure help KC out in a lot of way. (note: he is talking about KC not being picked to have a professional baseball team.  They still had the KC Blues which were a farm team for the New York Yankees.)

Well they made 16 Sgts in the Company, 6 corporals and no Master Sgts or Sgt First Class or PFC.  Sure would like to make it.  They made 4 SFC in Easy Company, but George Co didn’t put any in for it.  I think they are going to put some in for it this month (Nov)  Might have a chance to get it.  But I don’t look for it to much.  I am not bucking for it hard enough. 

We finished our guard today.  We go to the field next Monday the 1st of Nov for about 2 weeks.  Sure hate to go.  Hope something comes up so I won’t have to go.  It’s nice day today.  The sun is out bright and it is warm.  The company is training this afternoon.  I am not out because I got CQ tonight.  Will write soon.
Love, Ted


Oct 27, 1954 (second letter that day)

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I am on CQ tonight.  Thought I would write another letter.  I got one from you Oct 21.  I saw the Rgt Rank List.  I saw Clifford Zink Company K made Sgt.  I said that there were 16 in the last letter that I wrote, it was only 10 who made it.  Glad to hear that McLaughlin is doing better.  I will send another jewel box after payday.  I can get on OK.  I think the name of the tune is China Night.  The one I looked at is Auld Lang Syne but you should know that one.  Hope you can get another one with China Night.  They only cost about 4 dollars.  Don’t remember just what for sure. 

Well you don’t have to worry about me treating the Korean boys to ad as we are finished with guard for awhile.  We go to the field and stay for 2 weeks after Monday and will probably start pulling guard when we come back.  Well I looked at the company rotation list and they don’t even have me down for the 20 Dec now.  Looks like I got pushed back some.  Just about like this outfit to do that.  They can’t keep me to much longer any way as they have to send you home 45 days prior to your ETS (discharge date)  Still think they will send the guys who rotate in Dec early so they will make it home by Xmas.

Well not much more to write about for now so I will close off.
Lots of Love. Ted


Sunday Oct 31, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I’m all set to go to the field in the morning.  I got promoted to a new job yesterday.. I’m the 4th Platoon Sgt now.  Sure got it at a bad time going to the field etc.  I know the 60 mortar and the 57 booth so it shouldn’t be to hard for me to make out.  I sure never thought when I came over here last Sept that I would ever be a platoon Sgt before I left. (note: for those of you that are not familiar with the army rank structure that really is an accomplishment for a draftee.)  I think I will like it OK.  It’s less work in a physical way but more mentally and more responsibility than just being a section leader.  I got 2 sections now rather  than just one. 

We got paid at today.  I drew $118.  I wanted to put some more money in the Soldiers Deposit but they told me I was to short to put ay in as it might not get on the record before I went home.  For the first time I have felt like a short timer.  Looks like I might not make another payday in Korea.  I wanted to build it up to $1000 but I have $900 in anyway and with my leave pay and the pay I draw between now and the time I get out plus the 300 dollars mustering out pay the money I have at home I should be set up when I get home.  I have enough money in my pocket to get a camera and a jewel box when I came back from the field. 

Sure turned cold.  We got our stove going an it sure feels good.  12 men are going home on the 6 Nov so that should put me down to about 14 or 15 now on the 5 RCT rotation roster.  Tell the truth I don’t much want to leave over here till about the 1st of Dec.  I could still get home by Xmas.  One reason is that I might have to take a 30 day leave before I get a discharge etc.  Loose more money and time by that way and I would still be away from home.  Anyway I shouldn’t have over another month to do over here.  I haven’t had a letter for a couple of days.  Probably get one tomorrow out in the field.  Probably wont get to write as much as I have been as it gets dark early and we wont have much time to write in the day so don’t be disappointed if you don’t get any mail for a few days at a time.  I’ll write soon and as often as I can. 
Lots of Love, Ted

PS:  The 21st and 34th Rgts of the 24 Div are moving to Japan right away.. The 19th Rgt is staying here   for a few more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment