Thursday, April 12, 2012

Letters Dated November 6 to November 17, 1954

Sat Nov 6, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well I have spent a week in the field now.  Guess you wondered why I haven’t written you but I have been so busy I haven’t had much change and it gets dark early.  I have been going to bed at and because it get dark and cold and there isn’t nothing much to do.  I haven’t had but a couple of letters this week.   That was a real letty you wrote Roy on (note:?)  I bet that color TV is really something.  Bet they get the price down even more when they get going on it.  They have a lot of different tunes on the music boxes I guess.  The one I looked at was Auld Lang Syne and they sent Gold and Silver Waltz.  The one I wanted was China Night.  I’ll still send another one.

I wrote on my last letter that the 34 and 21 Rgt of the 24 Div was moving to Japan.  I didn’t tell all.  They told the 1st 3 grades that they could transfer if they wanted to and go with the 34 and 21.  I only have 30 or 40 days left the way it looks so I didn’t bother to do it.  I think the 19 Rgt will move soon after the 34 and 21 move.  To bad everything has come at the wrong time for me.  Moving with the 5 RCT and now Japan.  Haven’t got the word about when I am leaving over here but it shouldn’t be much longer.  Sure be glad to get out of the outfit.  I can’t see how 2 outfits can be so much different.  Well we have one more week here.  I think we will go in about next Sat the 13.  This week went fairly fast so should the next one.  We are in the same area that we were in with the 5 RCT.

Not much more to write about so I will close .  Will write again later.
Lots of Love, Ted


Sunday Nov 7, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Just a few lines today to let you know I am doing OK.  Nothing new to write about.  Looks lie it may rain tonight.  Hope not.  It has been nicer everyday since we have been out here.  I haven’t had any mail for about 5 days now.  I think last Tues was the last time, guess it is tied up some place.

I have taken a few pictures since I have been out this time.  I got a roll ready to get developed and a new roll of color film that I just put in the camera.  Nothing to much to write about.  Everything is going about the same.  Well there is just 41 day left till I was supposed to rotate.  So it wont be long now.  One of these days I’ll write and tell you not to writer me anymore as I will be leaving soon I hope.  Can’t think of much more to write as I haven had any mail to answer so think I will close.  I’ll try to write more this next week.
Lots of Love, Ted


Sunday Nov 14, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well we left the field yesterday morning and got back about .  Didn’t do much yesterday afternoon but clean equipment and straighten out a little bit.  Went to the club last night.  I am still platoon Sgt.  Don’t know how long I will be as they may want to give it to some one who has more time to go than I do.  I sure didn’t write much  while I was out in the field as it was to cold and dark at night and in the day I didn’t write as we were training etc.  Guess it has been a while since you got any letters.  I have had several from you.  I gave little Jimmy his pants and shirt which he go which we go when in the field.  He sleeps in the hut with all the 4th platoon Sgts and 1st Sgt.  I sent him over to take a shower and clean up and I gave him the clothes to put on and they just fit him good and he was really proud of them.  The pants were a little big around the waist but they fit OK.  He must be about Snapper’s size when Snapper wore those clothes.  He told me when I wrote my mother to thank her.  He sure is smart.  From what I have found out he has lived on a ship for quite some time and he can’t speak Korean.  He has been to the states a couple of times. 

I will send you a couple of music boxes for Hortenz and Sandra.  I will try to do that this afternoon if I can.  Don’t send any money for them though.  I have plenty.  Think I will send about 3 of them.  We can have on extra you don’t need to say anything about.  Will let you know when I send them.  Doubt if they will get there by Xmas. 

The way they are shaking up Westinghouse you better write Roy about that job for your self.  Glad they didn’t strike but it a shame they laid so many off (note: even though it wasn’t a strike there were some demonstrations.  I guess that is what I remember) and they changed their rating on those jobs.  Westinghouse is good at that I guess.  That’s the way they fight the Union.  Which is the only way to do it. 

Don’t do to much to that room of mine.  No hurry about it as it still may be awhile before I get out of Korea and then you can figure when I get my papers it will be 6 days before I leave the company.  3  to 5 days o process and get on the boat and about 11 to 14 days to get to the states and 3 to 5 days to get my discharge so you can figure about 30 days at the most after I get my notice that I am rotating.  I think there are rotation drops coming down.  They are up till the 15 of Nov now and they say the next drop will be everyone till Dec 15, 

I didn’t hear anything about Arkie getting a divorce.  What all did he say.  I haven’t got that letter from Daisy yet either.  Are you going on days yet.  You wrote my pay was 1.82 per hour.  I think that was about what I was making when I left there.  They should give me a raise.

Well that sounds like a pretty good deal with Knox Chem Co.  About the only thing I can do is let it ride till I get home.  What and who do the sell, Industry or Dept Stores etc.  As far as insects over here.  Don’t know much about them.  Plenty of rats over here and poor extermination of the part of the army and civilians. Etc.  AS for insects the army had mennside and the old stand by DDT.  The ships usually fumigate in the states and the kitchen has a little spray they mess men use when they have trouble and as usual they don’t get rid of them with out the hand of an experience exterminator. 

I will send those letters back.  I would like to get back on the road again and travel Mo and Kan.  I always liked that.  I would still be doing it if I hadn’t been for old George Eaton and his old lady.  Well we will just let it ride for now.  You better keep it lined up for yourself at least. 

Glad to get out of the 19 Rgt.  SFC Carpenter got busted one stripe for stealing sugar last time we were on guard.  The old man (Col Donaldson Rgt Commander) caught him with 50 lbs of sugar in his jeep coming back to the company.  It that would have been in the 5 RCT they would have patted him on the back and promoted him to Master Sgt.  Glad I didn’t get caught.  Write again soon.
Love, Ted


Nov 15, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Well today went pretty good.  Most of the day was care and cleaning and a shot inspection.  We have a good platoon leader.  He is a 1st Lt and from Long Island, New York.  Just  a few years younger that I am.  He is a colored officer but he is OK not like most to them and he is a college graduate.  He lets me rank the platoon and if he makes a suggestion I don’t like it I tell him and its Ok.  Goes ahead and lets me do it my way.  We got rid of the colored 1st Sgt we had and thought we were going OK and today we got another one in.

Well we start pulling guard on Wed.  I get the 1st Shift of Sgt of the Guard and I will be over piers 1,2,3, and 4 plus Quay 2 and some other post.  Probably have my own jeep.  That’s the way we did last time. 

I forgot to tell you the other day I got the box of cookies you sent.  They sure were good. 

Today I had several letters.  I got the one from Daisy and one from Jim and several from you with the $10.  I think I will send that back.  Today I wrapped a box and mailed it.  It had 4 sets of fatigues that I have had for awhile.  They are tailored to fit me.  When I leave Korea they take all my clothes and I wanted to keep them so I too the chance of mailing them.  I have some T shirts, sweat shirts and pictures and a roll of color film you can send and have developed, also some other items I thought I would send rather than to carry home when I leave.  Let me know when you get the box..  I am going to send some more things before long.  Hope it gets there OK.  The fatigues will be good to work or loaft around in.  They fit me tight now so if I get fat I probably wont be able to wear them but wanted to keep them anyway.

I didn’t understand what you said about Zink.  You say he has left of Inchan.  I am beginning to doubt if I will be home for Xmas now.  All the drops are not getting to the Rifle Companies.  They don’t seem to get past Hqs Co and Service Companies etc.  Glad to hear Sipes made Sft and got to go to Hawaii.  A good break for him  I figure most of the boys would make Sgt before they went home.  You see Arkie again tell him hello and I’ll see him soon.  To bad him and Joy are getting a divorce.  Did he seem to feel bad about it.  Jim didn’t say much in his letter.  Same old thing.  Like to see him when I get home.  Daisy didn’t have much to say either.  I’ll send you the letter.  It was a sweet letter.  Tell Sam Coomer hello for me and all the rest of the boys.  Tell Dwight and Arlene to save me a place at the table as they are my first visit when I get home. (Dwight and Arlen were Mom and Dad’s best man and made of honor at their wedding.  They lived up the street.  Dwight later got killed in a parking lot accident.  And to show you how small a world it rally is, years later a guy worked for me that was an Electricians apprentice under Dwight.)

Sounds like Snapper is growing up a lot.  Sure is smart.  I had to laugh about him falling off the horse. (note: I remember doing that at a friend’s farm.  I didn’t think it was that funny.)  I will let you know when I get the music boxes ordered and how many.  Hope you can get the same tune.  Don’t send anymore money. 

I read where the Democrats took over again.  Sure is a good thing.  To bad mom couldn’t vote Dem.  I would have. 

Well the weather over here is about the same.  Days are warm enough.  The nights are cooler and it gets dark early.  We wear OG shirts. (olive green) and field pants.  They are heavier than fatigues and warmer.  We can’t wear fatigues any more that’s why I sent them home.  Not much more to write about so I will close.  Will write soon.  Lots of Love and hop to see you before much longer.
Ted


Nov 16, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

Just a few line to let you know everything is going about the same.  Well the months is more than half over now and its only 34 days till Dec 20.  I found out last night from the Co Clerk that my name is on the master roster.  He left it off the company roster by mistake but the don’t go by the Co roster .  Names come down to the company from Bn Hqs. 

We had an inspection this afternoon and at we went to a USO show and it was fairly good.  1st one I had seen since I was in North Korea I think. ( note:  I guess they had not officially named and divide Korea yet.)  Haven’t had any mail today so far.  So nothing to write from this end.  Will pull guard this week.  Our company starts Thursday morning a .  It will work about the same way this time as it did last.  They transferred quite a few guys out today for Japan.  They are going with the 34 Rgt.  I think Don Underwood went with them.. Don’t know, just guessing.  Well everyday I write I am getting short and when you get this letter I am shorter and when I get an answer I am even shorter.  Shouldn’t be much longer.  I don’t think I will make this next drop but should be on the one after that.  Will let you know.  Write later on.
Love, Ted


Nov 17, 1954

Dear Mom, Dad, and Snapper

I had a letter today dated Nov 11.  Glad to hear from you and I was sure surprised to hear that Dad changed jobs.  Sound like you got a better job and little easier work, a lot of responsibility but think you will like it OK. (note: he got a different position with Westinghouse.)  Why did they lay off so many operators.  Glad to hear Don made Sgt.  Think you said one he had a desk job in Bn Hqs or some place like that.  They make it once ina while on those jobs but not often as usually a clerk is only a Cpl.  When is Larry and Emma Ruth going to get married,  Dec or sooner. 

Well the wind is strong today and cold.  Our company went on guard today at .  They pull it 4 on and 4 off and 4 on.  George Co and Fox Co are the only two companies pulling it.  Each company has two relief’s.  I start tonight at .  Leave here at .  I’ll have a jeep and go on for 8 straight hours.  All I will do is check the guards, take care of any trouble they have and pick up slacky boys etc and take them to jail.  I’ll be over the Pusan Dock area guards.  I think I will have about 60 guards spread out over 3 or 4 mile area.  Sounds big but there is nothing to it.  I’ll be working with the guards from booth Fox and George Co.  They are pulling Sgt  of the Guard so I will be on 8 hours and off 24 hours.  Wont have much to do on my off time but sleep, eat etc.  There are 6 of us who sleep in our own hut.  1st Sgt Reed, Field First Sgt Stinchcomb, SFC Krinkard, Sgt Boblett, Sgt Carpenter and my self.  The house boy makes are bed, shines our boots, washes our clothes and presses and then hangs them up etc.  So I don’t have anything to do.  Well I don’t have much more to write about so I will close .  I’ll write you more.
Lots of Love, Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment