Friday, February 13, 2015

June 20, 1953

June 20, Saturday
Dear Mom and Dad
I thought I would drop you a line and let you know what happened.  About 20 of us got Signal Crops at Ft Mammoth, New Jersey.  I didn’t have to be there until July 14 and we were going to leave here today.  The other boys left on the charted plane a little before noon.  It would have given me 24 days at home and I would be in the states for 16 or more weeks.  I got $203.04 for travel pay.  
When we went to pick up our orders they didn’t have any for us.  Nine of us altogether.  We all knew what had happened then.  The deal on the special school came through.  They said it would be 3 or 4 days before our orders came through.  I was sure sick.  I had wanted the other so bad.  
About 20 guys got orders for Korea, 20 for Alaska, 10 for Austin, some sort of medical corps and the rest for Europe and Leadership school.. I would have been home tonight sometime.  
After everyone left our company commander told us that our orders were for Alameda, California naval station and we were cleared for secret work.  We will be in Alameda for 3 weeks and then we go to Camp Stoneman, California to go to Korea.  I don’t know what the school is or anything.  I get my orders starting Tues 23 June to the 7th of July.  I will have 14 days.  So I should be home Tues sometime.  
I don’t feel as bad now as I did for awhile.  I was counting on being home Father’s Day.
We finished up Thur and was graduated Thur evening.  I was one of the outstanding soldiers of the cycle.  All the squad leaders got to go up before LTC Pruitt and shake his hand and salute and get their diploma from here.  I was the only one that was not a squad leader to go up.  I was the third one to go up.  I was sure surprised.
I had guard duty Wed night.  I didn’t write because I thought I would be home by now.  Well not much more to say.  I’ll be home soon and will sure be glad.  
All my love, Ted
PS  I got a pass today at noon till tomorrow.  I might be able to get away mon night I hope.  Everything ok at this end.

No comments:

Post a Comment